Brewing alcohol free

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Brewing alcohol free

Post by john luc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Some time ago I heard that the big brewerys were involved with research into a new strain of yeast that can ferment a wort but not produce any alcohol. If such a yeast can become viable then the whole new world of beers that taste like beer with no alcohol would truly take hold. However try as I have I cannot find any information out there :cry: . Anyone know anything [-o<
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Brewing alcohol free

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 pm

I guess whether that happens remains to be seen, breweries are investing in expensive alcohol removal systems rather than a simple to use yeast, it’s an emerging market and heineken are investing in it so it’s bound to blow up. By far the best way at the moment is to brew a 0.5% beer with loads of specialty malts and some maltodextrin.
Whatever you do, don’t do what St Peters do and bottle unfermented, filtered, carbonated wort. They had a moan about their research being taken advantage of in this month’s brewers journal, I don’t think they spent much to get where they are :lol:

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 pm
By far the best way at the moment is to brew a 0.5% beer with loads of specialty malts and some maltodextrin.
Any more pointers to specific home brew all grain recipes for this sort of brew would be great.

john luc

Post by john luc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 pm

john luc

Post by john luc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm

I am ŕesearching this topic atm to see if I can brew a good one.

john luc

Post by john luc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 pm
Whatever you do, don’t do what St Peters do and bottle unfermented, filtered, carbonated wort. They had a moan about their research being taken advantage of in this month’s brewers journal, I don’t think they spent much to get where they are :lol:
That does sound disgusting. There is an American homebrewer gone commercial who has proprietory designed a brewing process. Claims it's the real McCoy but sure we can all say that :roll:

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am

One problem is that, at least with normal/strong beers, the alcohol does actually affect perception of the beer IMO, so any method of avoiding or removing it will not be right for a lot of styles, even if it was the real McCoy in other ways.

Personally I'd be willing to accept that though, provided the low/no alcohol beer was actually good in its own right. So probably lots of nice malt and hop flavours but without the unbalanced sweetness that many attempts result in through limiting fermentation. If that is what these new yeast can easily achieve, they would be very interesting - for occasions when one has to drive and so on.
Kev

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am

Yeah. I’ve been off it due to illness for a month and tried most of the alcohol free beers that are reasonably well available - thornbridge, brewdog and infinite are all pretty great and I don’t feel I miss out on anything drinking them.

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:50 am

Considering methods like starving fresh wort of oxygen when pitching yeast and using cold long fermentation 2 /4C area. Also dilution of finished beer with de aerated water like somebig commercials do.

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:56 am

The issue for me is trying to keep all the esters and other flavours intact. Fermentation does that so how to remove the alcohol without damage is the key. Removing the alcohol itself is a flavour so trying to replace that is also a bummer.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm

I've made some decent 1 - 2% beers and they serve a purpose (hoping to brew another tomorrow) but you really can't quite match 'proper' beer. It's quite an interesting challenge trying, however. A good yeast can help, I like using Weihenstephan because you can get a lot of flavour (comparatively speaking of course).

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm

john luc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:21 pm
Some time ago I heard that the big brewerys were involved with research into a new strain of yeast that can ferment a wort but not produce any alcohol. If such a yeast can become viable then the whole new world of beers that taste like beer with no alcohol would truly take hold. However try as I have I cannot find any information out there :cry: . Anyone know anything [-o<
If no alcohol is produced it isn't fermented.
I'm just here for the beer.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:45 pm

I don't believe that fermentation 'must' produce alcohol to qualify as such. Micro-organisms can assimilate/convert organics/carbohydrates, causing various reactions, by-products and releasing energy, without these necessarily taking the form of alcohol.
Last edited by Kev888 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 pm

It does. If you read the link I posted. Here is a quote from them,
Low alcohol, high flavor

Using only their brewing skills and the specially selected NEER™ yeast strain, brewers can produce a low alcohol beer that does not skimp on flavor. The ‘secret’ behind the concept is that this unique strain, which can be found in wine and beer through the ages but was previously unnoticed, consumes only a small part of the sugar but still finds a way to produce high levels of esters, which define that great beer flavor. “Instead of removing alcohol this new technology produces just the right amounts of alcohol and esters,” explains Sofie Saerens, Department Manager, FC&E.

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 pm