Saving a starter

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Saving a starter

Post by Meatymc » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm

I use IPA's method of capturing yeast - taking a sample from the fermenter around day 2/3 and then allowing it to ferment out as the main brew ultimately sealing the 'sample' and storing in the fridge.

I used a recent sample for a 1.2L starter yesterday intending brewing today and pitching on Tuesday (I no chill so currently allow 2 days in the cube in case I need to use the brew fridge to ensure it's in the correct temperature range.

Suffice to say the brew didn't happen plus I now find I won't be around (at home) from Wednesday for at least a week hence the brew is on hold = whereas the starter is bubbling away.

Is there any reason why I can't split the starter into 500ml batches (as normal) either tomorrow or Tuesday, allow it to ferment out (as normal) and then seal and save (I can get some to do that for me) with a view to brewing with it in a couple of weeks time?

I can't see why not but would appreciate any comments.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Saving a starter

Post by Jocky » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:04 am

It’s not ideal but I can’t see any harm in it - just make sure it’s fully fermented out of your bottle will explode. Ideally use plastic bottles.

If it was going to just be a week I’d have said bung the starter in the fridge and then take it out on the morning of the brew day to let it warm up. 15 minutes into the brewday boil grab a bit of wort from your boiler, chill it rapidly in cold water and then add to the starter yeast. By the time your brew is ready for yeast pitching it’ll be ready to go.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Saving a starter

Post by Meatymc » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 am

Jocky wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:04 am
Ideally use plastic bottles.

If it was going to just be a week.
Thanks for the reply Jocky. I will be transferring from the flask into plastic bottles - all with an airlock fitted.

My dates have actually got worse since I posted yesterday and it is likely to be Thursday 12th before I can pitch. I'm then away again until probably Saturday 21st but can leave it fermenting in the fridge. My latest fermenter is actually airtight - bit of a miracle really given it's a plastic £10 jobbie from Wilko - so should be fine.