Saltaire South Island

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
clarets7
Piss Artist

Saltaire South Island

Post by clarets7 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:59 pm

This is a lovely beer, only 3.5% so really good for quenching a thirst. The last few bottles I've bought though have been very lively, and made me wonder if these are actually bottle conditioned, or at least not pasteurised? It pours with a very tight white head and I'm sure the last dregs I just poured into the glass left a yeast coloured stain on the head. Not had this with any of the other Saltaire bottled beers I've tried. Anybody any ideas on this? Or know what yeast they use, may not be any point in scavenging it if it's readily available anyway
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Saltaire South Island

Post by orlando » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Noticed no one has replied. I don't know this bottled Beer so can only suggest two things. First, unless an infection has somehow got in then it must be yeast. Second, can you look through the bottom of a bottle with a very bright light behind it? This may reveal a thin layer of yeast cells, doesn't need much. I don't know what yeast they use, it may be something readily available as most micros use an off the shelf yeast, but it is possibly their own. The question will always remain is it the primary or a bottling strain?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Don't think it was infected, tasted fine although maybe not as clear as I would have thought it should be. I looked but couldn't see any thing on the bottom of the bottle. I'll get some more bottles and be a bit more careful pouring them, nothing to lose there!
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 am

Why not just ping them an email and ask? Most breweries are usually happy to help as long as you're not asking for trade secrets

info@saltairebrewery.com