Lallemand Lalbrew Koln Kolsch Pitching Rate

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Post by rowyourboat » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 pm

Planning to attempt my first Kolsch soon (ready in time for warmer weather).

I bought the ingredients recently and didn't notice the Lallemand yeast says the pitching rate is
Pitching Rate : 1.0g P/L
so for a 20l batch I'd need approx 2 11g packs not 1?

Anyone used this yeast have any experience of pitching a single pack?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:48 am

What was the OG?

rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Re: Lallemand Lalbrew Koln Kolsch Pitching Rate

Post by rowyourboat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am

I haven't made it yet but recipe states 1.048 OG

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 am

It does look like they recommend more than a packet, in fact if you use their calculator with your recipe specifics they recommend 24g (although I don’t know if they are trying to account for poor storage and two probably isn’t going to make much difference.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/can ... alculator/

You could always make a small starter with it to boost the initial cell count if you are unable to get hold of any more before then. The one packet will likely ferment out but might eg finish at a high FG or be a less than stellar fermentation, so you might not be getting the best beer you can out of it after spending a fair bit of time cleaning and making the wort.

rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Post by rowyourboat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my local shop doesn't stock this, I got it from Malt Miller when I ordered some equipment. (Can't justify £3.60 postage for a £3.95 order though!)

My local shop does K97 yeast, or I could order some kolsch yeast from crossmyloof so I might get one of those. Assuming I hit the OG when I brew, I might then just chuck both the lallemand and a second one in and see what happens? I'd hope they'd be very similar.

Lesson learned for me: don't assume 1 dried yeast sachet is always for 5 gallons

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:39 pm

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable assumption for an “ale yeast” at that gravity but then Sod’s law intervenes.
You could make the wort and do a split batch with different yeasts in 10L each, you might be surprised at the difference between them.

rowyourboat
Steady Drinker

Post by rowyourboat » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 am

That would be a good experiment but sadly not one I have space for in my fridge.

I've ordered some crossmyloof Kolsch yeast which says it will do suitable for 5 gallons. So I might just use that instead, or pitch it with the lallemand for a "hybrid"... not sure yet

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:02 pm

Unfortunately this yeast is being discontinued
Lallemand Brewing will no longer be producing LalBrew Köln™ in the foreseeable future. We invite you to contact your local supplier(s) to know if they have stocks left or to reach out for replacement options within the LalBrew range.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.