Bitter or Mild with T58

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Bitter or Mild with T58

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:47 pm

Just curious. Has anybody tried making a bitter or mild using T58 yeast?

I realise that it's for Belgian Ales, but the thing I remember about Harveys beers from when I used to live down south was that the yeast used to impart a kind of spicy-ness that reminded me a bit of Belgian beers.

What are your thoughts, wise people of Jim's Beer Kit? Worth trying or a crazy idea?

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Re: Bitter or Mild with T58

Post by Marshbrewer » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:01 pm

I've done a dark mild and used CML Belgian yeast. It wasn't unpleasant, but I'm not planning on doing it again. It didn't seem to "pull together" as a beer, if you see what I mean. The recipe was otherwise unchanged from my dark mild that I usually brew with ale yeast, which I quite like. You are correct about Harvey's, as I believe their yeast is slightly phenolic.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:30 pm

JJSH wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:01 pm
I've done a dark mild and used CML Belgian yeast. It wasn't unpleasant, but I'm not planning on doing it again. It didn't seem to "pull together" as a beer, if you see what I mean. The recipe was otherwise unchanged from my dark mild that I usually brew with ale yeast, which I quite like. You are correct about Harvey's, as I believe their yeast is slightly phenolic.
Thanks for the info JJSH - useful to know. Maybe Belgian yeasts would just be too overpowering for a mild or bitter. Interested to hear other experiences if anyone has one.

Btw, just found this really nice video on the history of Harveys yeast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4WTGJCB6g&t=445s

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:41 pm

Great video!