Brett recommendation for stuck ferment

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Brett recommendation for stuck ferment

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:33 am

Hey folks,

I brewed a barley wine recently with an OG of 1.110 and the fecker has stopped at 1.032 (10.7%). The last time I did this recipe, it came in at 1.016. Yes - I know, this current final gravity is within range of the style but I very much prefer it drier.

First time I brewed it, I used my big 3 tier system. This time round, I brewed it on my small 'all in one' system using the reiterated mash technique. All numbers came in the same so not sure why I'm where I'm at.

First time I brewed it I used Mangrove Jack M42. It went through it in no time. This time, my M42 didn't turn up in the post but luckily I had
Crossmyloof's barley wine strain so used that. The beer stopped fermenting around 4 days ago. I managed to get some M42 and added a packet of that 2 days ago. No starter. No joy. I'm going to chuck in a red wine yeast today but I'm not expecting any luck from that either as they only like simple sugars. I'll try anything!

In the past, the only way I've managed to shift a stuck ferment is by using Brett. Question is, is is there a Brett strain out there that can go into an already 10% beer and chomp down another 15ish gravity points for me? I don't want to be spending £££ needlessly. I have considered making a starter from the dregs from a bottle of Orval but doubt that strain would be up to the challenge.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Floyd

EDIT Just been reading about Amylase Enzyme to aid stuck fermentation. Could do the trick!

floydmeddler

Re: Brett recommendation for stuck ferment

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:21 am

Well, I bought a bottle of Orval, enjoyed it then made a starter from the dregs. It's been added to the barley wine now.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:51 pm

floyd,
Was it still at 1032 when you added the Orval starter?
How much longer will you leave it in the FV?
Have you left the Hydrometer in the brew? ( cleaning, sanitising, etc )

Good Luck, let`s see what happens. :D

WA

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:27 pm

Hey WA,
Been at 1032 for weeks now. Still no action from the Brett. Spunding valve gauge hasn't budged. Early days, though. Plus, it's sitting out in the brewery. I'll bring it into the house 2mo. If there's no change in a few weeks, I'm going in with the amylase enzyme...

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:03 pm

We have lift off! Spunding valve gauge went from 0 - 8psi in 2 days. :-) Will take a sample later for a gravity reading and of course a tasting. Bring on the funk!

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:56 pm

dropped 4 points. Will let it ride out till xmas.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:16 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:56 pm
dropped 4 points. Will let it ride out till xmas.
Xmas my arse. I couldn't resist another gravity reading. No movement in 2 weeks. The Orval yeast dropped it by 4 points and that was it.

I went in with 1.8 tsp of Amylase Enzyme:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've read about this stuff fermenting beers down super low. I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem with such a big ass beer as the yeast will only tolerate a certain level of alcohol.

Time will tell

Actually quite enjoying all of this experimentation. :-)

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:30 pm

Update on this. In short, beer has turned into a bit of a beauty.

I added the whole sachet of amalyse enzyme back in Nov. Feck all happened. A few weeks ago, I blended this barley wine with 2L of Wee Heavy (10%) just for the hell of it. I'm guessing the enzyme worked on that a bit. Gravity dropped to 1.028. The Brett character has really come through beautifully, though. Getting those lovely barn yard notes. Weird as it's only dropped 4 points. How did it create so much flavour? I need to be schooled on Brett it would seem...

Any way. Happy days!