Snozzle yeasts

Share your experiences of using brewing yeast.
JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Snozzle yeasts

Post by JamesF » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:30 am

Here on my desk I have a bottle each of St Austell Proper Black and Mena Dhu. The labels claim both are bottle conditioned, though I can't see what the contents look like as the bottles are too dark.

Does anyone know anything about the yeasts involved? I'm tempted to have a pop at clones of Tribute and Proper Job and will attempt to use their own yeast if it's the same one.

(The Mena Dhu stout looks "interesting", claiming to use six different types of malt and also listing oats, demarara sugar and liquorice in the ingredients.)

James

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Snozzle yeasts

Post by Cobnut » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:38 am

I have grown yeast from bottles of Proper Job successfully and used the yeast to make a more than passable beer, so if these are bottle conditioned, you’re in with a good shout.

Let us know how you get on.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Re: Snozzle yeasts

Post by Top Cat » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:14 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:38 am
I have grown yeast from bottles of Proper Job successfully and used the yeast to make a more than passable beer, so if these are bottle conditioned, you’re in with a good shout.

Let us know how you get on.
I’ll second that, have grown yeast from Proper job bottle conditioned several times to brew Tribute, the resulting brews have been pretty authentic. It normally took me a couple, sometimes three steps to get a decent amount of yeast for a 25ltr brew.