Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Chumsky

Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

Post by Chumsky » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Whilst browsing through the many posts about TC I thought it would be good to get all the recipes collected on one post!

It doesn’t matter what stage your cider is at, if you copy and paste everything below, you can edit the post the further along you go.

I've compiled a list of information I think would be helpful to anyone wanting to try your recipe, let me know if anything is missing:

Stage one: Initial fermentation:

Juice used and Quantity:
Yeast Used and Quantity:
Other Ingredients and Quantity:
Vessel Used:
Method of adding ingredients into vessel:
Starting Gravity:
Color/ Cloudiness:
Environment:
Temperature left at to ferment:
Time Taken to Ferment:

Stage 2: Racking

This isn’t always done, but I’ve read some people leaving it to settle down and cool before bottling it.

Racking Time:
Temperature left at to settle:

Stage 3: Bottling/Secondary Fermentation:

Finished Gravity:
Type/Size of Vessel used:
Extra ingredients added and quantity (Primers etc):
Temperature:
Time left at initial secondary fermentation temperature:

Stage 4: Cooling/clearing

Time left before drinking:
Temperature left at:

Stage 5 (My favorite) Drinking:

Color/Cloudiness:
Taste:
Last edited by Chumsky on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:29 pm

I suppose I should start the ball rolling! :

Juice used and Quantity: Adsa Value
Yeast Used and Quantity: Champagne Yeast - 1 Teaspoon
Other Ingredients and Quantity: 200g Normal Granulated Sugar and Tablespoon of Honey
Vessel Used: 5L glass Demi-John with airlock
Method of adding ingredients into vessel: Poured 4L of apple juice into the Demi-John. Heated 1L of Apple juice, sugar and honey in a pan and topped of the Demi-John with it.
Starting Gravity: Unknown
Color/ Cloudiness: Brown/Green, very dark and murky
Environment: Wrapped in Blankets
Temperature left at to ferment: Hopefully around 20C
Time Taken to Ferment: 9 Days

Stage 2: Racking

This isn’t always done, but I’ve read some people leaving it to settle down and cool before bottling it.

Racking Time: 1 Day
Temperature left at to settle: 20C ish.

Finished Gravity: Unknown
Type/Size of Vessel used: Demi-John
Extra ingredients added and quantity (Primers etc): 500ml Apple juice, 4 heaped tablespoons sugar.
Temperature: 20C ish.
Time left at initial secondary fermentation temperature:

Time left before drinking: 2 weeks
Temperature left at: around 18C

Color/Cloudiness: Fairly clear
Taste: Not that great at all. I blame this on replacing the bung 4 days after bottling with an airlock, reason behind this is the bung kept on blowing off and I was going away for the weekend. I did replace with a bung later, but I think it was too late.

I added a load of sugar when drinking however and it was fine.
Last edited by Chumsky on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Just got to play the waiting game now!

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:52 pm

HI ALL,

Although technically new to this forum (ive been reading it at work taking notes etc for the past 6 mothes) i thought i should give my 10p worth on this topic. i love cider and have been experimenting since xmas to come up with the best recipie. this is it. ive since made it three times with perfect strong cloudy scrumpy

my recipe for 20ltrs TC:

20 lts of lydle apple juice
3 pounds lydle honey
8 bramley apples (skinned), blended
1 cup of strong tea made with 3/4 bags
youngs cider yeast

stick 18ltr of juice in the fermenter, blend apples, stick them in. use some apple juice to melt honey, mix with the tea, stick it in.

when the apples 'fall out' of the juice, ie go to the bottom, and the larger bits float to the top, rack off. top up with more juice. ferment to dryness.
if you want it clear, add bentonite, (or just grow up and get a set of b*llox).

bottle it, if you want it with sparkle ad teaspoon or a slosh of juice.#

drinking: get yer mates round and watch them fall over!

i didnt really like the turbo ciders much. they were drinkable, but lacked depth or character or some other pretentious term... by adding the brambleys it gives the cider loads of body and balls. basically its sort of what the kentish cider makers do, and is a cheap method to recreate this.

ends up about 8%

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:07 pm

Hmmmm, that looks very interesting Dreadskin. I think I shall have to have a go at a gallon first to see how it turns out. Do you use the Lidl clear juice or the cloudy? Presumably the tea is to give tannin to the brew? Does the brew end up tasting like W.Country cider?

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:21 am

Alright mate,

if i may say so, it tastes really like a west coast country cider. loads of bite, plenty of strenght and apply flavour. (and more importantly nothin like olde english!) it does end up cloudy, due to the pectin in the apples, but i dont care. it looks really cool, in my mind, that way. the honey gives it a lovely aroma too. yes the tea is to replace the tannin that w.country cider apples would naturally have, and the bramleys repace the acid that would also be missing. i use the cheapest lidl apple juice(always 100% tho). tho last time they had a deal on the 1.5 ltr cartons. you could use the cloudy stuf, or get a mixture off all three. spreas your bets so to speak.

good luck, and happy drinking!
D

hong

Post by hong » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Dreadskin,
I like the sound of your recipe. My only concern is i dont have a blender, could i just mash them in the bucket with a potatoe masher do you think?

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Sounds good, if you have forearms of steal! if the apples are dead hard, stick them in the hot press till the soften up abit then peel and mash. or i supose you could boil them in lydl apple juice then mash them. the only thing is, if you boild them you will release loads of pectin. this is fine if, like me, you enjoy the puzzeled looks on you mates face when they look at you cloudy homebrew and wonder about death thru botchilism... muhahahahahaha!

Chumsky

Re: Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

Post by Chumsky » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Just updated all the information on my TC.

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Here is my latest batch:

Juice used and Quantity: One Stop Pure Apple Juice
Yeast Used and Quantity: Cider Yeast - 1.5 Teaspoons
Other Ingredients and Quantity: 60g Normal Granulated Sugar
Vessel Used: 5L glass Demi-John with airlock
Method of adding ingredients into vessel: Poured 4L of apple juice (Too much it would appear) into the Demi-John. Heated 1L of Apple juice and the sugar in a pan and topped of the Demi-John with it.
Starting Gravity: 48 (Blue Bar)
Color/ Cloudiness: Brown, dark and murky
Environment: Left in a cosey place out of the light
Temperature left at to ferment: 20C - 23C
Time Taken to Ferment: 9 Days and still bubbling every 30 seconds.

To be continued

lollypopp

Post by lollypopp » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm starting my TC tonight, 5l of 100% morrison's AJ, I'm going to grate a third without the skin, a bramley, a large spoon of blossom honey, a cup of strong tea, and half a sachet of brewers yeast! does that sound like it will work, oh I'm going to use a 5l demi-john! [-o<

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 pm

lollypopp wrote:I'm starting my TC tonight, 5l of 100% morrison's AJ, I'm going to grate a third without the skin, a bramley, a large spoon of blossom honey, a cup of strong tea, and half a sachet of brewers yeast! does that sound like it will work, oh I'm going to use a 5l demi-john! [-o<
Sounds good! Let us know all the details =)

lollypopp

Post by lollypopp » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Quick question, how much sugar, Ive got white (normal) and demerera? :D

lollypopp

Post by lollypopp » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Ok! this is what I've done! right or wrong?
4.5L of Morrison's own 100% Apple juice.57p a Litre, warmed up to mix in 6oz of demerera sugar, a large spoon of blossom honey, a 3rd of a large bramley, skinned and grated, a mug of really strong tea, and as I said warmed up in a large saucepan to desolve the sugar, started a half sachet of brewer's yeast in some boiled water, cooled down to 25c, spot of the said apple juice, the OG before I pitched the yeast is 1060, wonder what that will get down to? :twisted:

joel_m

Post by joel_m » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Started my First TC... used

stage one: Initial fermentation:

Juice used and Quantity: Tescos Pure apple 1lt, tescos standard 2lt, Apple and Elderflower juice 1lt
Yeast Used and Quantity: Safale 05 2/3 of a pack (well it was in the fridge)
Other Ingredients and Quantity: 300g Demerera sugar, Cup of very strong tea, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 apple (no idea what type in was in the fruit bowl)
Vessel Used: 5L Tescos spring water bottle sanitised no airlock just a loose lid
Method of adding ingredients into vessel: Heated 1lt of apple juice on the stove with the sugar and cinnamon on a low heat for about 40min until all the sugar had disolved added the grated apple. Poured 3lt of juice in to the brewing bottle added the tea and stove liqour pitched yeast crossed fingers
Starting Gravity: 1.072 @ 25degC
Color/ Cloudiness: middle Brow and murky with apple bits floating about..
Environment: hidden away from light
Temperature left at to ferment:20-23
Time Taken to Ferment: well only just started so will update!

Fingers crossed I'll get something 6+% and drinkable!

Finished Gravity: 0.998
Type/Size of Vessel used: Flip top Grolch style bottles
Extra ingredients added and quantity (Primers etc): 1 Tsp brown sugar
Temperature: 22-23 initially
Time left at initial secondary fermentation temperature: 9 days so far!

Time left before drinking: about 9 days in the bottle
before first try
Temperature left at:Room temp (21-23) then 2 hours in the fridge!

Color/Cloudiness: Cloudy scrumpy coloured
Taste Imagine apple pie wine... or with a dash of apple juice, apple juice and vodka. Suprisingly smooth! Making another very enjoyable!
Last edited by joel_m on Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.