Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
TouLouseLePlot

Re: Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

Post by TouLouseLePlot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Your beer ideas work identically for cider, but add yeast nutrient and if you don't want cloudy cider you need to do other stuff. But as you bought cloudy juice, I guess you like cloudy cider.

I can confirm that it will taste exactly like old rosie. You bought unspecified juice sometime last year, no idea what yeast you are using, might be throwing some sugar in, maybe even fancy fermentables like corn sugar. I've never tasted old rosie, but I bet it's a total clone.

Good luck

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:47 pm

stoofer74 wrote:hi all have been brewing ale now for a bit and during a moment of madness last year bought about 25 litres of cloudy apple juice for making some cider.i like the look of dreadskins recipe but was wondering a few things.i usually ferment my beer for about 7 days in a fv then transfer to a bottling bucket for about another 3-4 days before bottling will this rule of thumb work for the cider.also as i sit here drinking a bottle of old rosie that i picked up in lidls £1.29 a bottle will said cider turn out any thing like it? any advice would be appreciated.also bearing in mind that i would prefer a cider that is slightly strong but doesnt destroy your brain or tastebuds in the process
ISTR somebody saying they harvested some yeast out of a bottle of Old Rosie

Most juices give you an ABV of 4.5 to 6 % without added sugar. Check the amount of sugar listed in the nutritional breakdown and do the sums.

A cider yeast should give something with a clean flavour, a wine yeast may give someting funkier.

They do stuff to juice to make it stay cloudy, I have a copy of an academic paper about it somewhere. Don't think it should affect the fermentation.

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:11 pm

thanks for the replies i ordered a youngs cider yeast last night and got three jars of honey from lidls today so im good to go when that arrives.i got all the cloudy apple juice from lidls in august i think was something like 50p a litre, have been meaning to do a cider for ages but have been busy with my ale but have got quite a big rolling stock built up now.if it turns out like a scrumpy a bit cloudy will be more than happy.is yeast nutrient a must ?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:14 pm

It is if you want a rapid fermentation - could take up to a week longer to ferment out without it

IMO turbo cider is ideal for patching holes in your rolling stock - even a 5l batch will provide you with 9-10 bottles of evening entertainment, which for me easily covers a short week :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Nutrient isn't essential but as Pinto says, you're looking at at least an extra week fermenting without it.
When I put my latest batch on I'd run out, and one gallon took 20 days instead of the usual 10-15 and the other gallon's just ready for bottling tomorrow at 23 days

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 pm

its always a good idea to have a pot of Youngs All purpose yeast+ nutrient in the fridge as i've found it pretty good for TCs and it ticks most of the boxes in one neat, cheap package.

Only "fault" if you could call it that, is that being a wine yeast it'll ferment to total dryness (0.996 or lower) so might be a bit tart for weaker paletes :) but thats what splenda/stevia/agave is for :lol:
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Good week for turbo's... The CINNAMONATOR has just entered the FV...

C) Cinammon/Clove TC

4.5L Aldi Apple Nectar
100g T&L Caster Sugar
500ml Clove/Cinnamon Tea (plus 3 Clove/1 Stick in the FV)
1.5 tsp Allspice powder
500ml 3 Bag stewed Tea (Tannin)
1Tsp Nutrient

Started off with boiling 500ml of water with 1 Cinnamon stick, 1.5tsp of allspice powder and 4 bruised cloves (to make sure i got best flavour from them) - brought to a gentle boil for 10 minutes and left to steep for 15 minutes (I topped off with the boiled water washings from a honey jar i'd emptied earlier, just for kicks lol :)

Proceeded as per a normal TC and took an OG reading of 1.030 without sugar addition, so I modified the level down as I dont want this one to be too monsterous (or too sweet) - 100g added brought OG to 1.050. I sampled from the trial jar and was VERY impressed :D spices come through nicely but I was suprised at the subtlety of the clove after reading from others how powerful it could be.

Transferred to the FV with a fresh cinnamon stick and (as I want little more clove coming through) 3 bruised cloves, pitched at 22 degrees with a Nottingham starter and hoping for a FG of 1.010 to 1.005 in the next 10 days or so - 5.3% ABV

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Clove works well if it's not too strong.

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:49 pm

So just done a batch of cider as per dreadskins recipe 20litres of lidls cloudy aj,3 jars of lidls honey,1 cup of very strong tea,7 big cooking apples peeled and cored and chopped into various sizes in the blender all thrown into the fv and added youngs cider yeast.if this ends up tasting as good as it smells i will be a very happy man indeed.one question though dreadskin says that the cooking apple that is currently floating will sink and thats the time to rack off.i'm planning on transfering into a bottling bucket until it has finished fermenting does this sound right.keep me right this is my first non kit cider.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:05 pm

The solids should drop as its the CO2 produced by fermentation that keeps it aloft - might need to give the vessel a gentle tap to dislodge any trapped gas and it'll all sink nicely at the end of fermentation.

Personally I prefer a solid FG reading over guesswok tho - although if you let it go for 10-14 days then you're pretty much assured of a full ferment.

And though many reccomend drinking it out of the fermenter.... it'll be a whole different beast after a fortnight in a bottle ;)

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re:

Post by Troutman47 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi all, I've made TC a couple of times before and thought it was alright but didn't quite hit the spot in the sweetness and body area.
After having a couple of Old Rosie's from Lidl's (£1.29) a quick search on here found this thread and Dreadskins recipe so thought I'd give it a bash.

The only differences I've made are I put 3 jars of 500g honey in as I couldn't be arsed to faff around weighing 3lbs.
Didn't peel or core the apples, just put them in my apple masher after they were washed in sanitiser and rinsed.
Added Muntons beer yeast in the hope that it'll stop fermenting around the 1.010-08 mark leaving a bit of sweetness.

OG was 1.064

I'm hoping the addition if the Bramley's will give it more body but will it alter the OG?

DREADSKIN wrote:
20 lts of lydle apple juice
3 pounds lydle honey
8 bramley apples (skinned), blended
1 cup of strong tea made with 3/4 bags
youngs cider yeast

Cheers :beer:

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Probably a little, but cookers dont have a lot of sugar in them compared to eaters. Only thing i'd have done (especially as you've pulped your brambleys) is to chuck in a tsp of pectolase to break down the pulp.

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Good idea Pinto, there's still time!

Cider rider

Post by Cider rider » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi all new member and first post after reading this thread intently the past few days. Im not new to brewing but haven't done any in about 15 years so would like a few pointers please :D

I'm looking to make dreadskins TC recipe in the next week or so, i have just acquired 3 king kegs and was wondering if i could use them for the cider, i have never used one before so unsure what else (if anything i'd need) would i just ferment as normal then transfer to the kegs? Also would i need to prime the kegs?

Many thanks

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Should be fine to keg a TC :)

You can prime as per other brews, 80-100g per 23l depending on how fizzy you like your cider, but unless you've used an ale yeast, dont attempt to use sugar to sweeten - cider/wine/champage yeasts will happily ferment that lot with no net sweetening effect... just more fizz and ABV !

Turbo Ciders usually require back sweetening with lactose, sweeteners (like splenda or stevia extract) or appleade (with sweeteners)... or just grin and take the dryness like a (wo)man :lol: