Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
JuiceBanger1

Re: Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

Post by JuiceBanger1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

my 2p's worth - apple juice has natural sugars to start with, think ive read if you just added yeast to the juice, you will get something around 4- 5%abv. I add 2 squeezzy jars of lidl honey and 1/2 a bag of brown (muscavado) sugar to 5 litres of juice, and thats quite strong! . now aiming for 20%, I cant see it being that nice, you'll add fresh juice to the pint you've poured anyway to make it nicer/ drinkable. I made one that was strong and 4 pints off in knocked me out! the honey and brown sugar add certain flavours as well, try different combinations for your taste. I'm not making really strong stuff again, i missed the tv those nights!

I cant say about that yeast you have, ive read certain yeasts dont work well / effect the taste etc. best sticking to what works for people, i use youngs yeast for cider and did a wine yeast i think for high alcohol content. some one else can advise on that.

I do heat about a litre of juice in a pot and disolve the sugar and honey in it, cant say what the saturation point is (when no more sugars will dissolve into the juice), just start it and put in a kilo at a time? see what happens.....

I'd sum it up and say, just follow a TC recipefrom in here and bung in some extra sugar to try first.

The Kaiser

Post by The Kaiser » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for that JB1 :)

I'm going to go for it, can try it for nowt I suppose! I'll calculate the amount of sugar in the apple juice before deciding how much to put in as I don't want it not work with the yeast! I'm not too fussed on the taste to be honest. If it's harsh it will be going with half a Stella for a Power Turbo haha!

I've read on other forums whilst searcing up on TC, and a few have mentioned putting a cup of very strong tea into the mix aswell! Have you or anyone tried this?

JuiceBanger1

Post by JuiceBanger1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 pm

yes, ive added a cup of tea made with 3 teabags, its to get the tannins from the tea, into ur cider. you can also buy a tannin powder from the brew shops. people also add glycerine, from the chemists or supermarket to add , mouth body feel, i havent yet tho.

The Kaiser

Post by The Kaiser » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Just this minute started 25l of Turbo Cider!

25l Morrisons Apple Juice
8 Bramley Apples
6kg of Sugar
1 cup of strong Tea
Alcotec Turbo Yeast!

I tried to take a Hydro reading but it wouldnt sink in my sample (think it was because of all the sugar?) So had to pour that back in and take a sample from the apple juice carton which read 1.044. I'm aiming for a brew that is 20%. The yeast instructions told me to add 8kg of sugar for 20% volume but I had to make some calculations as the apple juice itself had a combined 2,000g of sugar!

I will let you all know how I get on :)

EliteEvil

Post by EliteEvil » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I was going to do something like that, was planning a cider kit tin + applejuice + top up with sugar then a turbo yeast. If you survive let us know. I think you might need to add something after fermentation to clear the crap turbo yeast kicks out. Any pics of it fermenting?

The Kaiser

Post by The Kaiser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 pm

I bought some Turbo Klar to clear it after siphon bud! No pics, but I did take this little video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAQq0rpc2HE

It didn't ferment like crazy like I thought it would! But it's just about done today after starting it Wednesday! Smells pretty strong too. Not sure I'll get 20% as I couldnt fit the full 25 litres in because of all the sugar!

Got two more packs of this turbo yeast, gonna have a go at making my own wine I think!

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 am

After immediatly dropping the airlock on the floor and comedy siphon tube disaster I was ready to drain the experiment.

Firstly while hocking the cider I got a big mouthful, slight cava style bubbles, very dry taste, not unpleasant barnyard taste.
Very cloudy.

Strong burning alcohol aftetaste, quite brutal actually.
Added tsp of sugar to prime.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-1mOER9bS4bM/TxXnq ... 1024-1.png <---- should be a pic

Ninj

Post by Ninj » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Just put on another batch, a cheeky little number:

4.5l Princes AJ
300g can Princes Summer Fruits (cherry/strawb/blackberry etc)
1 1/2 Bramleys grated
Cup of strong tea (2 bags)
100g Brewing sugar
100g Muscovado sugar
80g (ish!) Honey
1 tsp Cinnamon
Youngs Cider Yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp Pectolase

Pitched at 1069 so expecting over 9% ABV

Looks good.....

The Kaiser

Post by The Kaiser » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Siphoned mine off last night and added the Turbo Klar. Checked on it today after work to find its still fermenting! :-/ Will I be able to add more Turbo Klar again when its done?

Had a taste and it's really strong! Not unpleasent at all which I was expecting after reading up on the Turbo Yeast! It warmed my insides up like a Liquor haha :D

Added a few more litres of apple juice as I couldnt fit the entire 25 in at the beginning, and whilst still fermenting, good chance of volume increase? I'm really looking forward to making myself a mess with this stuff! Smells and tastes brilliant!

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

Just thought it was worth saying, I siphoned mine off in to a 2ltr bottle primed with a tiny amount of sugar and left it in the attic. Just noticed it seems to be clearing quite alot now.
In future would I be better leaving it in the demi to clear or was this method OK?

hong

Post by hong » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Just started a 1 gallon batch. 5 litres of Lidl juice, 2oo grms of sugar, & a good squirt of honey. SG 1060, bit high i know, but like a bit of a kick in my brews!

The Kaiser

Post by The Kaiser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 am

Well, 15 days after starting my Turbo Cider with the Turbo Yeast and it's still fermenting! Not at speed like the beginning, but still producing bubbles at the surface! The smell is really strong! Is it normal to ferment this long?

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 am

My current batch has taken a bit longer than normal, I think it's at 16 days now, and just barely ready for the bottles (which have been cleaned sterilised ansd waitign for 3 days now, annoying the missus no end as they fill the drainign board). You added loads of sugar so it's gonna take the yeast a while to deal with it all.
If you're going to put it in bottles, you need to wait until it stops, or you may be making bombs. Gravity no more than 1010, and leave a good headspace in the bottles if it's at the top end. PET bottles can take some pressure though, if you use those, so not so dodgy. OTOH, if it's going into a keg of some sort, you can be a bit more relaxed about it.
I still mainly go by how clear it is - can just see my fingers more or less clearly through mine, so it;s just about ready. Can't quite read through it, but with the cranberry as well that's optimistoc anyway. It;s changed to a thickish transparent from a thinnish opaque, which is the sign I look for. I did take a gravity reading today though, as it had gone on so long, and it was around the top end for botlling. So tomorrow will do, I reckon.
This is my first batch with cranberry in, looking forward to seeing what effect that has. And one of the demis has 3 cloves in it - wonder what that'll do?!?!?!

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:49 pm

I think mine did the same, don't worry about it :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:39 pm

I bottled it yesterday. Sneak taste looking good. The clove one (it was 4, not 3, in the gallon) seems like it'll be very nice.