Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Cider rider

Re: Turbo Cider Recipes, Methods and Taste Collection.

Post by Cider rider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:28 am

Hi thanks for the reply

I'll be using Youngs cider yeast so would i be best priming with Splenda (not sure what appleade is?) and would i use the same amount 80-100g per 23l?

Cheers

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:58 am

Nooo ! priming is done for carbonation - all you're doing is sweetening to taste - 100g of splenda in a 23l brew would taste like... well, i dont know :lol: Sweet !

The best method is to draw half a pint off your cider before bottling and (if you can) add splenda 1/8 tsp a time - stir it in and taste. Once it meets your requirements, then just scale up for the remaining batch (eg : you like it with 1/4tsp in half a pint = 1/2tsp per pint = 20tsp in 40 pint (23l) run.

Remember that splenda/stevia are a number of times more potent than sugar gram for gram when sweetening - might surprise you just how little you need.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey,
I got a Turbo Cider on last night following Dreadskin's recipe, 9litres of. Most of the apple seems to be at the top of the bucket and formed a thick layer of the stuff- should I stir this in now and then or best to leave it and let nature take its course?
Cheers guys,

Troutman47
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Troutman47 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:08 pm

i just gave mine a stir.

It's been fermenting for a week and the apple was sitting on the top so it's had a stir and all looks well.

Smells bloody lovely too!!

I'll leave it now until the apples drop and take a hydro reading. Shouldn't go down too far as I've used a beer yeast.

Cheers :beer:

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Pulp always floats as it traps the CO2 formed by the fermentation - you can knock it down but it'll only float back up again :)

Just bottled my Cinnamonator and Cranberry and Raspberry Turbo - Gave me 8% and 6.9% on the ABVs repectively. The cinnamon cider tasted fab from the sample jar but the C&R was a tad dry again, so I went all in with 1tsp of splenda per 500ml bottle - couldn't be arsed to sit there and work out individual taste so I'll see how it comes out :)
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm

I'll give it a stir tonight then in that case. I've not been near it since Saturday due too feeling a little worse for wear after a friend's stag-do. Another "never drinking again" moments!

Cider rider

Post by Cider rider » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:17 pm

ok think i got the splenda sweetening thing :D

I went to pick up some AJ today and wondered if i get concentrated or not concentrated or if it even matters? Anybody know where there's any good AJ deals on at the moment =D>

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Think you're getting confused with "pressed" and " FROM concentrate" - all it means is that the former is as it came from the apple and the latter is concentrated down after pressing and knocked back with water at a later date to make it drinkable. The biggest difference is going to be price - juice from concentrate is a lot cheaper !

Last deal I came across was Aldi Apple nectar which was on offer at 54p/litre a few weeks back - tbh, i dont use anything else for my turbo ciders as it works so well and its such good value - i'd start there if i were you.

Cider rider

Post by Cider rider » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

thanks Pinto! I was in Aldi and Lidl today and they only had the cloudy stuff, guess i'll have to go back at a later date to purchase the clear

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:02 pm

It would surprise me if they had run out of apple nectar - i think its probably Aldi's biggest selling line with all the TC made from it :lol:

Its in the bigger 1.5l cartons

FarmerFred

Post by FarmerFred » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:53 pm

I went for the Lidl's apple nectar (50% juice) 1.5l was 79p, not the cheapest bust couldn't be bothered looking about for cheaper. That ain't bad really though!

Cider rider

Post by Cider rider » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm

has anybody used Innocent apple juice for a TC its half price at Tesco at the moment, i have drank this on its own and its probably my favourite. Would it be suitable to use this?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 pm

You can use any juice you want - just be realistic with your expectations as you could end up with a variable product - eg some juices will produce a cloudy cider which isnt to everyones taste etc.

Im experimenting with something at the moment ;) - I'll expand if it works - but its in the finest tradition of the Turbo Cider Brewer....

" We wander through life, looking at every liquid god has given us and thinking ".....I can ferment THAT" :lol:

Cider rider

Post by Cider rider » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for that, i wouldn't mind using the Innocent AJ but i couldn't find any nutritional info regarding sugars etc on the bottle so wouldn't know what else to add to it, i drink ANY cider cloudy or clear so that won't put me off :)

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 pm

FarmerFred wrote:I went for the Lidl's apple nectar (50% juice) 1.5l was 79p, not the cheapest bust couldn't be bothered looking about for cheaper. That ain't bad really though!
Works out to 52p/l, not bad. I've used it a few times, works well.
Morrison's saver juice (NOT the 'juice drink') is about the same price (54 or 56 p/l just now IIRC) and also works well.