Does anyone have a Makkoli recipe, or a link to one?

For any brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Laripu
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Does anyone have a Makkoli recipe, or a link to one?

Post by Laripu » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:18 pm

NWC wrote:Hey - I'll just drink mine anyway then :D
Remember me in your will. :D

And good luck!
Bottle conditioning: Khamsa, ancient ale. Barley malt, wheat malt, kamut, dates, and honey. 1.064-1.010, 7.1%, 27 BU
Bulk aging: tart cherry melomel, ~11% abv
Drinking:
1. "Old 11-ish", ginger braggot. ~11% abv
2. "Wee Drappie", dark ale, 4.7% abv, 28 BU
3. "X", Canadian style blond ale, 6% abv, 25 BU
4. Kvass, unhopped bread-based near-beer with German rye bread. ~2% abv

NWC

Post by NWC » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Well had a go at it.
Its not "that" bad once you get past the fairy liquid taste, and let the fusion of intense ginger and bleach anaethetise your taste buds. Once your at that stage you just need to worry about the bits of grit (WTF - how did they arrive?), and the gruel like sludge.
All in all, an entertaining evening, but not one I hope to repeat in the forseeable future!

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:43 pm

NWC wrote:Well had a go at it.
Its not "that" bad once you get past the fairy liquid taste, and let the fusion of intense ginger and bleach anaethetise your taste buds. Once your at that stage you just need to worry about the bits of grit (WTF - how did they arrive?), and the gruel like sludge.
All in all, an entertaining evening, but not one I hope to repeat in the forseeable future!
Bleach? Not for me thanks!
Bottle conditioning: Khamsa, ancient ale. Barley malt, wheat malt, kamut, dates, and honey. 1.064-1.010, 7.1%, 27 BU
Drinking:

NWC

Post by NWC » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:16 pm

Ha, I didn't add bleach - it just tastes like I did :oops:

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Laripu wrote: Seriously, I will try it again one day, when the trauma wears off. :wacko:
Have you had another go? I have been reading about this for several days now vining my way through the interweb and this morning I stumbled upon your post here at Jim's =D>
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Laripu

Post by Laripu » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:11 pm

6470zzy wrote:
Laripu wrote: Seriously, I will try it again one day, when the trauma wears off. :wacko:
Have you had another go? I have been reading about this for several days now vining my way through the interweb and this morning I stumbled upon your post here at Jim's =D>
That was over six years ago!

No, I never tried it again. Nearby there are a couple of Korean stores that sell it. I buy a couple of bottles once a year. Sometimes, in an Asian restaurant, I might order Nigori sake... again, maybe once a year.

So it never seemed worth it to try again.

Especially since I don't bother with regular beer styles anymore, I just do any damn thing I feel like... that's plenty of room for creativity.

Since then I've added lox, sausage, sauerkraut and kimchi to my repertoire (all excellent). I dropped goat cheese (good but boring to make), graff (it was okay, but I didn't like it enough), and cider (my wife barely ever drinks it). I can't say I dropped makkoli, since I never really made it in the first place. :oops:

Maybe when I retire, 7 or 8 years from now. They say your memory begins to fail ......
Drinking:

taylormadeak

Post by taylormadeak » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:52 pm

6470zzy wrote:
Wow, way to excavate a thread, man! Why don't you give makgeolli a go yourself and let us know how it works out for you? There's certainly enough information in this thread to get you started. :D

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Its on the list............. just not on the TOP of the list :flip:
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sun May 15, 2016 10:30 am

I'm a big fan of makoelli, not so much the cheap stuff that the Koreans usually drink, but if you go to makoelli bars you can get some really nice, tasty, smooth stuff that goes down far too easily. I'd be keen to make it myself one day soon.

I just need to understand what the ingredients are. Does it need a special yeast?

Edit: there's loads of recipes online now so it should be fairly simple to work something sanitary and tasty.
Never enough time...