lidl red wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Jabberrwocky

Re: lidl red wine

Post by Jabberrwocky » Sun May 29, 2011 4:00 pm

[quote]hi all i have some white grapes growing in the garden, i have purchased 3 litres of tesco white grape juice, and wish to combine home grown and purchased grape juice.

i have 5litre djohns /airlocks / pectolase etc.

reading recipe for liddle red wine it seems i need tannin does wilkinsons sell tannin and is the nutriment mentioned youngs super wine yeast compound???

i estimate the amount of juice i will get from my grape vines to be modest a litre at most.

i would prefer a sweet tasting wine so not sure how much brewing sugar to add to reciepe

thank you all [quote]

For the past couple of years I have made wine using grapes from my own (non wine variety) grapevine and a grapevine of unknown heritage in my parents garden. You will be amazed at how far a few bunches of grapes go. I normally fill a bin liner full of bunches of grapes when I'm picking them, and this makes about 12 bottles. I bung 'em in a bucket/sink to wash, then crush 'em up with a potato masher and (after adding some camden and leaving for a couple of days) simply add some yeast and leave it fermenting on the pulp for a couple of weeks before straining it all out and putting it in demi-johns to ferment out fully. Rack, rack again. I normally add a bit of sugar to up the alcohol after it's transferred to the demi jons to ferment out, but other than add add nothing. Age for 6 months to a year - very nice. I have never made wine from bought grape juice - but if it's pure grape juice (do they add anything to it? I don't know) then I can't see why you would need to add any tannins, citric acid or anything to it other than a bit of sugar to make it stronger. After all - people have been using grapes and grapes alone to make wine for centuries.....

Has anyone tried adding nothing at all to the cartoned grape juice except yeast and sugar? I'd be interested ot know the results....

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Jabberrwocky wrote:
Has anyone tried adding nothing at all to the cartoned grape juice except yeast and sugar? I'd be interested ot know the results....
Yes, I'm doing this with my recent homemade wines, the first one is clearing quite nicely, tastes ok if a little young, I'll know better in a couple of months.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Jabberrwocky wrote: Age for 6 months to a year - very nice. I have never made wine from bought grape juice - but if it's pure grape juice (do they add anything to it? I don't know) then I can't see why you would need to add any tannins, citric acid or anything to it other than a bit of sugar to make it stronger. After all - people have been using grapes and grapes alone to make wine for centuries.....

Grape juice for drinking uses a totally different variety to grapes for eating, eating grapes are not as tart as grapes you would make wine from and from what I understand wine making varieties would not make very good eating or juicing grapes dueto the tart tannic flavour. I am open to correction on this, but this is what I have picked up so far.

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:17 pm

EoinMag wrote:
Jabberrwocky wrote: Age for 6 months to a year - very nice. I have never made wine from bought grape juice - but if it's pure grape juice (do they add anything to it? I don't know) then I can't see why you would need to add any tannins, citric acid or anything to it other than a bit of sugar to make it stronger. After all - people have been using grapes and grapes alone to make wine for centuries.....

Grape juice for drinking uses a totally different variety to grapes for eating, eating grapes are not as tart as grapes you would make wine from and from what I understand wine making varieties would not make very good eating or juicing grapes dueto the tart tannic flavour. I am open to correction on this, but this is what I have picked up so far.
I have seen varieties like Granache on some carton grape juice so there must be some crossover.
Fermenting -!
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA

TC2642

Post by TC2642 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Well, after having a couple of bottles with my family of my wine with just sugar and yeast I can say that it is a success. Full bodied, fruity, clear and around 10.1% ABV it makes for an excellent table wine.
Fermenting -!
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA

carman

Post by carman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi with reference to the containers people are using ,if you can get hold of the 18 ltr water containers that they use in offices ,they are ideal ,easy to clean and free if you know someone who can get them, just drank all my bottles of the basic lidl brew .wife thought it was horrid ,so more for me ,drank it too early so it wasn,t brilliant ,might need to experiment a bit ,but for the price and about 12% volume will be having another go ,Cheers for the recipe
Mick

If its wet drink it

Post by If its wet drink it » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Iv just bought everything to make this wine going to use 3l red grape and 1l apple juice but the only thing i fogot to get was the pectolase, will this have any effect on the wine if i dont put it in or can i put it in tomorrow when i get some?

Great forum by the way learnt loads already :)

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Pectolase is used to reduce a haze in the final product caused by pectic acid.
Using grape and apple juice from a carton you shouldn't really need it as the pectic acid will be minimal.
You can always add it later, but TBH I wouldn't bother with this mix of juices.

If its wet drink it

Post by If its wet drink it » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for that, stops me worrying #-o

If its wet drink it

Post by If its wet drink it » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Tasted my wine today and its lovely G.1020 going to leave until it gets down to 1000 then do i rack it and put campden tablet and Pot. sulphate or do i add it in the fermenting bin to stop it and then rack it?????????
Thanks

If its wet drink it

Post by If its wet drink it » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Today its been steady at 1000 so have racked it off and a little taste ;) nice and dry ish topped up with apple juice in the DJ and added campden and sorbate

scoopster

Post by scoopster » Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

I have 3 demijons of this stuff to various recipes, all have finished fermenting & instead of bottling i have just racked into another demijohn for storage. I have noticed that one of these which was the sweetest has popped its bung & has turned into a sparkling wine and tastes quite nice!

Anyone know how to prevent this from happening again?

When fermentation had stopped i left for a further week, the last 3 days i shook the demijon 3 times a day until it had no gas. After using Kwik Clear i racked into the storage Demijon.

Is thee anything else i should have done?

Thanks in advance!

Trev

scoopster

Post by scoopster » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Bump! :)

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Did you stabilise the wine with potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite? You need to do this to stop the yeast. By the sound of it you just added finings and degassed. The yeast were still active, albeit slow, but they carried on fermenting as there was sugar present, as you mentioned it was sweet.. Hence the formation of more co2. Finings do not stop or remove the yeast.

scoopster

Post by scoopster » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am

This would be the reason!

Enjoying the learning curve! :)

[quote="bobsbeer"]Did you stabilise the wine with potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite? You need to do this to stop the yeast. By the sound of it you just added finings and degassed. The yeast were still active, albeit slow, but they carried on fermenting as there was sugar present, as you mentioned it was sweet.. Hence the formation of more co2. Finings do not stop or remove the yeast.[/quote]