lidl red wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Re: lidl red wine

Post by pas8280 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Just stuck this in the demijohn followed dewsfamily recipe to the letter but didnt take the SG anyone give me some idea ? i used 12oz sugar. I have a very similar recipee from a friend which basically uses 2lb of sugar disolved in 4lts of juice and no other aditives just keeps reracking every 7 days ? might give it a go as a comparison.
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

Parabolic

Post by Parabolic » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Heads up guy's and gal's The red grape juice is now at 59p per carton!!!

Stringman

Post by Stringman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi all
I have two of these going
1 just red
the other red,cranberry and topped with orange.
I have racked off the red/cranberry at 1000 and topped it up with the orange.
this ones stll fermenting away

I havent racked the red of as its gravity was 1010

my question is do i just let the wines ferment until they stop ( i am using yougs super wine yeast)
or do i stop the fermention at a given gravity.

I do hope it clears though as it looks like the tames at the moment

thanks all

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 pm

let it go til it stops

Parabolic

Post by Parabolic » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm almost in the same boat, I have 2 trails on the go,

4litres of red grape juice, 500gr detrose, 1tsp citric acid, 3/4tsp pectolase, 3/4tsp yeast nutrient. 1tsp youngs wine yeast

In another demijon all the same but white grape juice and then 50gr of dried elderflowers. I didn't use tannin because I didn't have any nor any tea bags!!.

I just racked them both yesterday but didn't take a gravity reading,, kind of almost stopped fermenting but I think this is because I racked them but I'm just used to doing this with the kits to get the wine off the first lot off dead yeast to prevent off flavours..but they have started again slowly bubbling.

I'm going to add the youngs stabiliser in a week, o rwhen the FG is .995 or there abouts, but after that, my question is......is there any point in using finnings or will it clear after a few days?

Tony R

Post by Tony R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Hello people. This is my first post after finding this great little website whilst looking for Lidl wine recipes.

I'm new to home brew but at the moment have just bottled up some black cherry (didnt taste too good) and some plum (tasted very good).

Have on the go at the mo- pear, two vimtos, Lidl red and Lidl white.

The Lidl red was very actice and frothy the white less so.

My question is about the white lidl grape wine.....Its a very funny colour, a bit like lemon curd and not really clearing any. Is that normal?
Both lidl wines were very active until yesterday (day 6 of first fermentation) and are now down to one bubble in the airtrap every 30 seconds. Again is this normal?

The pear and vimto I have on the go are both glugging away happily. Just a little concerned about the lidl stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
Tony

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Tony R wrote:My question is about the white lidl grape wine.....Its a very funny colour, a bit like lemon curd and not really clearing any. Is that normal?
Both lidl wines were very active until yesterday (day 6 of first fermentation) and are now down to one bubble in the airtrap every 30 seconds. Again is this normal?
Day 6? It's wine mate, you're in it for the long haul,6 months upwards of racking etc for clearing and that. Unless you want a turbo then you could drink it younger but it won't taste great.

Tony R

Post by Tony R » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:55 pm

:lol: Cheers I realise its a long process. I was just surprised that it was going ten to the dozen for 5 days and then seems to have almost stopped. All the other ones I have on the go are still quite active. Just wondered if anything muight be wrong with it.

moobli

Post by moobli » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:44 pm

the dewsfamily lidl wine isnt a long haul wine
you can go one of two routes rerack for 2 weeks or add the kwickclear stuff and bottle once it is clear,
once bottled watch the tops as they tend to pop off but after two weeks its ok and has mellowed enough to be a very nice wine,
if you cant wait you can always use a wine sweetner or use the five alive berry burst(in your red)
my batch of lidl white is slow to clear this time (think it may be colder weather or air pressure) but it is getting there i tend to do a mixture of both methods (on this batch)rerack and finings(kwick klear,turbo clear)whatever

Tony R

Post by Tony R » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:01 am

OK. Its been a while.

Tonight we cracked open a bottle of the Lidl White Wine made the same way as the Red.

The taste and colour was great, but the smell was of baked bean farts, lol, ever so slighty. 3 out of 6 people noticed it. Its a shame as it tasted lovely. Well drinkable.

My question is, why the smell?

Cheers.

modofodo

Post by modofodo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 am

Did you de-gas it before you bottled it?

Tony R

Post by Tony R » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Um....de-gas?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:43 am

When I de-gas I use a 5 litre water container, add a crushed campden tablet and give it a good shake with the top on. When you screw the top off you will hear the gas escape. Repeat until it's gas free, then bottle.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

mickyboy

Post by mickyboy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:54 pm

hi all i have some white grapes growing in the garden, i have purchased 3 litres of tesco white grape juice, and wish to combine home grown and purchased grape juice.

i have 5litre djohns /airlocks / pectolase etc.

reading recipe for liddle red wine it seems i need tannin does wilkinsons sell tannin and is the nutriment mentioned youngs super wine yeast compound???

i estimate the amount of juice i will get from my grape vines to be modest a litre at most.

i would prefer a sweet tasting wine so not sure how much brewing sugar to add to reciepe

thank you all

Yosh

Post by Yosh » Tue May 03, 2011 3:04 pm

I have so far made three wine kits. i have these ingredients:

4x 1 litre cartons lidl red grape juice
1lb sugar
2 tsp citric acid
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp tannin
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast