Sainsbury's Italian Red Grape Juice

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Sainsbury's Italian Red Grape Juice

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 am

Right, I'm a bit new to all this...
I've got the best part of 4 Liters of 'Sainsbury's Italian Red Grape Juice' in a Demijohn with a Teaspoon of Wine Yeast and about 500g of sugar, its bubbling away nicely and its smelling of wine when you walk past it.
I'm noticing some colour changes, its gone from the fairly deep red as the juice came to a peachy Dusky Pink, and I guess that opaqueness is the yeast in suspension??
Has anyone else tried this Red Grape Juice and what were your results like, and how long before you drank it, and how long until it stops fermenting?

Cheers
Ade

**After**

:) Seems pretty strong!
Last edited by WishboneBrewery on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mitchamitri

Re: Sainsbury's Italian Red Grape Juice

Post by Mitchamitri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 am

Check out the recipe on this forum for "Lidl red wine".
Its the grape skins that gives the colour so don't expect a deep red wine - it will clear eventually (or you can use finings - urgh - or bentonite at the end of fermentation). it does sound about right - if you have a lot of waste in the bottom of your dj its worth a precauntioanry racking.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:39 pm

I'll take a look, thanks.
I only have a very fine layer or sediment at the bottom :)

KevP

Post by KevP » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 pm

I have just finished the first bottle of my Blueberry Blush, 4 litres 100% red grape juice, topped up with Blueberry.
Whilst still being very immature its a cracking drink already! although its a tad strong at 17%!! Still a little acidic but I am more than happy with it, a beautiful pink colour to it too, like a nice rose wine.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:18 pm

cool stuff KevP :)
Since this Red Grape batch, I've also set off brewing:
White Grape 3L + Cranberry 1L
Apple 3L + Pomegranate and Blueberry 1L

Both using a variation of the Lidl recipe posted in this section, all of my demijohns are still bubbling away pretty well at present and I'm wondering how long they should be left at it!?

mrbenbod

Post by mrbenbod » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:05 am

The wines i've had a go at with juice have taken 5-7 days to ferment (at least thats how long they have taken until the airlock has <1 bubble/minute).

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 am

I put Bentonite & Campden Tablet in the FV yesterday.... within a few hours it had settled out about an inch of sediment.
I'm either going to rack it into another clean demijohn or bottle it today, the bit I tasted yesterday was really better than I had ever expected so it might not stay bottled for long! :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 pm

updated first post with picture *bounce*....
After bottling straight from the demijohn its since settled out a bit more and is actually pretty clear, It tastes pretty good too and is very nice with a slash of pure grape juice added :)