Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
tazzymutt

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by tazzymutt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:35 am

TC2642 wrote:... I do have some liquid sweetner on hand if it's a bit too dry.
As a matter of curiosity, what liquid sweetener do you use and how do you use it? I had a quick QC taste of the quadruped ginger batch after about two weeks in the bottle and the over-riding impression was "dry". I could hardly taste the raspberry or ginger but I swear I felt the blood rushing out of my toes as my body tried to restore proper hydration :wink:

I have found that ginger in a brew tends to make it go dry before; is that me or something I should have known about? (I see that the Coopers Ginger Beer kit lists an artificial sweetener in the ingredients, which tends to suggest they know something I don't (hardly a surprise!)).

Happy brewing,

Ian.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:06 pm

Hya TM, it is Sorbitol 70%. Got it from the homebrewshop but not sure how much to use yet, going to have to find a bit more out on it. :-k
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

tazzymutt

Post by tazzymutt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 pm

TC2642 wrote:Hya TM, it is Sorbitol 70%. Got it from the homebrewshop but not sure how much to use yet, going to have to find a bit more out on it. :-k
Thanks.

The only thing I know about Sorbitol is that it used to be used in sweets or diabetics; my dad always said if he ate too many they resulted in a nasty case of Montezuma's Revenge. I reckon you may want to start light on the sweetener and top it up if required :oops:

Happy brewing,

Ian.

marcarm

Post by marcarm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:45 pm

What is the recommended quantity for priming this?

I've made a few TC's before, and the first batches I used a teaspoon per bottle, they are way too fizzy and all you can taste is the CO2. Have to add some more apple juice to tone it down at bit.

I've got 2 batches of this on the go at the mo, one I've made with 3.5l of apple juice and 1 bottle of syrup with no additional sugar.

The other I made with 1 bottle of syrup and 4l of water. I added about 100g of sugar to this one. I made them on 28/8 and they are still bubbling away, the smell from the airlock is lovely!

The only thing is I don't want to overprime them in the same way my TC's have gone so was thinking about 1/2 teaspoon per bottle. I normally get about 10/11 bottles out of a batch so 5 teaspoons? I will be having a taste before bottling to make sure it is sweet enough, have got some artificial sweetener if needed.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:31 pm

I would suggest between 6 and 8g of table sugar per litre (assuming you haven't cooled it below fermentation temp). What you really want is a priming calculator. Brewers Friend have a good one. I primed to get 3.5 volumes of CO2 but since you don't want it too fizzy, the above amounts work out at between 2.5-3 which is about as fizzy as a pale ale - lager.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

marcarm

Post by marcarm » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:12 pm

That's a great reply, thank you.

What I'm looking for is similar to what you would get from a bottle of bulmers, the ones I've got in the garage take about 5 minutes to open as the froth rushes to the top every time you open the lid!

I'm going to go with 40g of sugar over the whole batch and see where that gets me.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:47 am

The trick to opening them is to get them cold. CO2 dissolves better in cold liquid (yes, better in cold is a bit counter intuitive) so if the bottles are cold then the CO2 will stay in solution and stop it fizzing when you open it.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm

tazzymutt wrote:
TC2642 wrote:Hya TM, it is Sorbitol 70%. Got it from the homebrewshop but not sure how much to use yet, going to have to find a bit more out on it. :-k
Thanks.

The only thing I know about Sorbitol is that it used to be used in sweets or diabetics; my dad always said if he ate too many they resulted in a nasty case of Montezuma's Revenge. I reckon you may want to start light on the sweetener and top it up if required :oops:

Happy brewing,

Ian.
Cheers Ian, I'll keep that in mind.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

marcarm

Post by marcarm » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

[quote="och29"]The trick to opening them is to get them cold. CO2 dissolves better in cold liquid (yes, better in cold is a bit counter intuitive) so if the bottles are cold then the CO2 will stay in solution and stop it fizzing when you open it.[/quote]

They must be well overprimed then as I always put my drinks on the fridge for a few hours before supping :shock:

A lesson learned with those batches I think!

BertB
Steady Drinker

Post by BertB » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Just a heads up that Lidl will have in stock lOWICZ Fruit Syrups this week (as of today) 99p a bottle, they look ideal for this, there is a Cherry one that looks very interesting! :)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm

BertB wrote:Just a heads up that Lidl will have in stock lOWICZ Fruit Syrups this week (as of today) 99p a bottle, they look ideal for this, there is a Cherry one that looks very interesting! :)
BB,
The Cherry one is Good, the Raspberry one is much better! :D
Stocking up tomorrow for a weekend brew! :D

WA

Snipersunset

Post by Snipersunset » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:27 pm

Anyone seen the raspberry stuff anywhere can't find it anywhere and I really fancy giving this a go?

Cheers

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Polish section of any of the larger Tescos Store
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Snipersunset

Post by Snipersunset » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:27 pm

And that's the only supermarket I don't have nearby, have to find the closest one and go have a nose
Cheers

BertB
Steady Drinker

Post by BertB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 am

WalesAles wrote:
BertB wrote:Just a heads up that Lidl will have in stock lOWICZ Fruit Syrups this week (as of today) 99p a bottle, they look ideal for this, there is a Cherry one that looks very interesting! :)
BB,
The Cherry one is Good, the Raspberry one is much better! :D
Stocking up tomorrow for a weekend brew! :D

WA
My two batches (1 Rasp & Apple, 1 Rasp & Ginger) finished their 2nd ferment at the weekend, so have now gone to settle for a couple of weeks.

Looking forward to trying them :)