Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
second2none

Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by second2none » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Towicz - Malina syrop owocowy

In asda in the UK I came across this Raspberry drink in the polish (foreign) food aisle.
One of the girls stocking the shelves saw me looking at it and trying to figue out what it was, she told me she loved it so I thought I'd give it a try. It was only £1 a bottle and when I got home I saw it had no preservatives colours or other nasty chemicals in it this combined with the fact I had a spare 5L demi gave me burst of inspiration:

The full 440ml of “Syrop owocowy” ((Raspberry stuff))
4.5L water
400g white sugar
1 flat teaspoon of yeast

Its getting colder in my house so took just over a week to ferment out
Racked and bottled and primed with about 45 grams of sugar.
Delicious after about 2 weeks,
Brilliant colour fizz and taste well worth a go.
ABV about 5.5% (use less sugar if you want it any weaker)

After the great success I had with this recipe I just had to share it
and have since been back to asda and found they have a cherry version muhaha
it will be ready in about a week and will post my verdict here if anyone takes an interest!
Last edited by second2none on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Sounds interesting and a change from TC........but a tablespoon of yeast :shock:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

second2none

Post by second2none » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 pm

trucker5774 wrote:Sounds interesting and a change from TC........but a tablespoon of yeast :shock:
Yeah sorry it was a typo and has been changed,
I know you could use a tiny spec of yeast in a project like this but I have cheap strong yeast so find myself throwing around
You were right a tablespoon would have been overkill even for me! Thankyou :D

jason123

Post by jason123 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:33 pm

They sound like perfect additives to a brew for raspberry Framboos and Cherry Kriek too.

Pity there ain't no ASDA near me.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm gonna be on the lookout for this next time i'm in Asda.... with a little more sugar and a carton of White grape juice, this could be a nice fruity rose wine.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 am

I found some of this and some of the cherry in my local European supermarket and I'm gonna give it a go. How did your cherry one turn out??

I'm gonna sound like an idiot now but I'm a newb and just wanted to be 100% clear; the 45g sugar is for priming the while lot, right?

Cheers,

Kevin

simco999

Post by simco999 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 am

I would have thought so - 45g of sugar in one bottle is asking for trouble!!!!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:26 pm

That's exactly what I thought but then I worried I might have missed something!!!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Right well that's mine made... I used 1/2 tsp of muntons no 6 wine yeast in the end as that's all I have. Will that be ok??

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:48 pm

The cherry one was more bitter but I left it about a week longer and the taste seemed to mellow out, it could easly be confused with these cheap and cheerful fruit ciders that dont taste anything like cider!
I liked the raspberry one the best but will be making lots more of both for christmas.

I'm extrmely happy with how they both turned out, I just hope you have as much luck as me!

45grams of white sugar for the whole lot! It gives it a nice fizzy without bubbling over :)
PLEASE DONT PUT 45grams in each bottle!!!

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Kevin wrote:Right well that's mine made... I used 1/2 tsp of muntons no 6 wine yeast in the end as that's all I have. Will that be ok??
I guess it will be just fine, I've tried this with super strenght wine yeast and ale yeast and didnt really tell the difference, i guess all the sugar gets fermented out eitherway

Please let us know how it turns out :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Second2none, what was your FG before you bottled? Mine has been blipping away pretty slowly...

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:48 pm

I think it takes about 12 days at room temperature. I normaly bottle about 1 - 1.010
Remember that the cold weather we've been having will slow down ur fementation rates.

I wouldnt say my batches ever bubble violantly, for example I've never had any of them bubble over
but I was quite happy for that!

How long has it been going for?

GSMunn

Post by GSMunn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Just made this tonight with the missus, her first brew! Should be good to see how it turns out!

Hank_Marvin
Tippler

Post by Hank_Marvin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi there.

Thanks for posting this very simple recipe for a brewing novice.

This is my first ever brew and I bottled it yesterday and that's where my question comes from.

Currently the bottles are sitting in cupboard (since 10pm last night), reading a few threads it seems i'll need to move these to the firdge, If so, when? Or should they already be?

Thanks a lot.