Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
bigcat

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by bigcat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Fill ya boots - the raspberry syrup is down to 89p a bottle at tesco's, just took delivery of 30 bottles!!

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 am

i'll be getting a few of them today then :) ta for the heads up

monkeyb0y

Post by monkeyb0y » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:33 pm

sounds interesting.... 8)

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 am

i made some of this a few days ago, its not finished fermenting yet, i decided to experiment a little and rounded the sugar up to 1kg. because of that i used an entire packet in the one demijon of youngs champaign yeast.

second2none

Post by second2none » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm

That will more than likey be undrinkable as a brew, but if after fermentation you put it in a plastic DJ bottle and then stuck it in the freezer and let it half freeze (takes bout 6 hours) and then sieve out the Ice crystels (boring water) I recon you'd be left with a mixer coming out at about 20%+ that would taste fantasic with lemonade or get you smashed if drank straight.

Ps. L2wis All ur sugar will fall to the bottom of your DJ while fermenting, you'll need to spin it/rock the baby to mix it up, it'll ferment faster that way.

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:36 pm

I'm not altogether clear how making the booze stronger will make it more drinkable but i do appreciate the advice all the same.

Also i'm a little concerned about the fusel alcohols as it is let alone after some freeze distillation as it would increase the concentration of them considerably. I've given the DJ a right old shake up/spin, the aroma coming out the top smells great haha :D.

I like the idea of adding lemonade too regardless of whether i freeze distil it or not :)

Gordonmull

Post by Gordonmull » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Spoke to a chemist & brewer mate of mine and he gave me a fairly convincing argument that freeze concentrating aint gonna kill you.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Not sure what the story is in the UK, but it is as illegal here as any other type of distilling, without a proper licence obviously

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:38 pm

yeh i agree with that, its what brew dog do to make their silly strength 'beer'. I just don't like the idea of it.

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Hehe it was just an idea taking out the water and replacing it with lemonade when you were ready to drink it!
Your yeast will have to work extra hard to ferment 1kg of sugar in 5L, they will more than likey give up and leave you with a very sugary drink :)

Further consentating wont help with the taste ur right about that!
I was just trying to help, I'm sorry you didnt like the idea, but there again no ones forcing you to do anything, your recipe may well be amazing I wish you the best of luck!!

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:52 pm

This looks like a great idea! Just bought a couple of bottles of raspberry juice to make a batch for the mrs, but my question is this: 1 bottle for 8 pints as in the original recipe seems like an awful lot of juice. If you added the juice to lemonade I'm sure you wouldn't just get 8 pints out of it. I was thinking of using 2 bottles for a 5 gallon batch and maybe using a couple of cartons of grape juice and extra sugar. Just thought I'd put it out there to see what you guys think. Am I way off the mark?

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Mine is still fermenting after 3 weeks and. 3 days!! At a rate of a blip every 8 seconds! Its mad! Dunno when its going to end!!!

Maybe I should put it in the fridge to stop it fermenting, its been going this long thou it seems a shame to stop it doing it's thing.

I reckon its still going and coped with the whole kilo because I used a whole packet of champagne yeast.

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:41 pm

@highhops, give it ago dude! whats the worse that could happen!?

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Defs going to have to give this a go. I imagine my missus would like it too. Sounds like the perfect summer's drink!

L2wis

Post by L2wis » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:18 pm

i cant wait to try mine! im gonna have to bottle it in pint bottles though which isnt ideal!