Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Hank_Marvin
Tippler

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by Hank_Marvin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:55 pm

I have just started another batch and if I replicate the last lot I'll be happy. Also on Monday I made a similar brew but with ribena, came in at 1080 at the start on Monday, and now tested today and its 1074 and to taste is very sweet, will check it in a week.

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am

ZZZzzzzz taking fooking aages to clear :( have about 1cm of clearness at the top lol fat loada good that is.. was going to try a ribena one when one of my clear demis is free ( i would use the brown one but its boring atm not seeing what its doing i'll use that when i get bored of watching the little yeasties work their magic ) next project as the rasberry and the strawberry seem to have worked both taste nice, bit biassed toward the strawberry as it doesnt seem to be as dry and has a much stronger aroma, i will be using the big 5 gallon fermenter,
3 bottles of strawberry malina
and 2 bottles of rasberry malina ( its not a juice its a desert topping btw )
2.5 kg SG1.062 i think. of sugar and some more of my lovely youngs yeast i have loads of.. maybe some pectolaise to speed up clearing.

then in the DJ's will be starting a ribena batch and a vimto batch.. should be interesting. did u simmer of your cordial ribena as on some sites it mentions boiling on others it doesnt?

only thing is i'll need to empty the bottles so i can use em again ;) anyone know where i can get the little red seals for the top of grolch bottles? and the big ones as i have a few of those too

Hank_Marvin
Tippler

Post by Hank_Marvin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah I put the ribena on the hob for a bit to be safe, it's fizzing away in the DJ so all is well.

I haven't been able to find the strawberry one yet, just the raspberry.

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am

i get the strawberry one outa asda.. and the rasberry one outa tesco, coz its a penny cheaper 99p lol, just racked off the rasberry stuff into the brown dj :o the now and its clearing rapid yayyy might get it bottled and primed tonight!

Gordonmull

Post by Gordonmull » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 am

Been doing this one for a while but as a wine. It turns out a lovely raspberry flavoured rose, stopped about 1004. Tastes great as soon as it's cleared. Going for a few more 1 gal batches as soon as SWMBO picks up the melina and when i get a 5 gal vessel free I'm getting that on the go.

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 am

its just so versatile the stuff innit.. a rose wine.. a fruity cidery thing.. a dessert topping.. and a fizzy kids drink when introduced to a soda stream :)

second2none

Post by second2none » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Well Im glad people are liking this recipe and having as much luck as I did,
I like the idea of using it in a Rosé Any chance you could stick your recipe up in here?

I had a go at the vimto wine but mine always came out too sweet for me, thats why I love this stuff!
I have tried the cherry now and wasnt impressed, Mabe I just love the raspbarry one too much and my supermarket has just started stocking the strawberry one, has anyone tasted that yet?

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:41 pm

i have the strawberry one finishing now (@sg1.003 from 1.065) and from the initial testing its better than the rasberry one, it took longer to start probably temp or some preservatives, so far seems to be worth the extra 67 pence. side note... the rasberry is bottled and primed!! whatever one is better it will be the decider on the bigger fv mass production for the b'day lol

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

mines taken forever to ferment, bottled it and now it wont clear, should have waited another week, but wanted it to be fizzy.
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Gordonmull

Post by Gordonmull » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Yup.

5L Raspberry Rose (in an asda 5L water bottle as DJ):
1 bottle of melina
650g sugar dissolved in 1L boiling water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp citric acid
1 campden tablet
1g potassium sorbate

Add melina to DJ and sugar water to DJ, top up to DJ shoulder with water. Add citric and nutrient. Shake to mix. Check temp and pitch yeast. If you've no citric then the juice of a lemon will work.

When the initial foaming has died down top up to DJ neck with water. Check gravity regularly after 1 week and stop at about 1004 using 1 campden tablet and 1g potassium sorbate.

Clear in your preferred manner. For this one I add Youngs beer and wine finings and the next day some bentonite. Day after, it's crystal. 2 part finings or time and gravity would do the job just as well.

Bottle.

I'm still working on this, scaling up the sugar by increments until I get what i want. The recipe above turns out at about OG 1090 when filled to the DJ shoulder but after topping up I get it at OG 1083, yielding about 10.6% and I like my wines 11-12%. Previous ones were about 9%-ish. The citric acid adds a nice zing, which is typical of fresh raspberrries, that I really think makes a big difference. Might also try bringing the sugar down a bit and replacing with some white grape juice to add extra body but that's for the future.

Gordonmull

Post by Gordonmull » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Where did you find the strawberry stuff?

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Might use that variation for some raspberry Rose.. big bro is partial to a drop or two of that(rose wine), the raspberry one ive just bottled is around 7.7% SG of 1.060 and it has a WEEK to get fizzy lol am itching to get the final product

wonder what the Melina raspberry would be like if done with brown sugar rather than white cane?
@far9410 mine took two weeks to ferment down down to the room temp being around 13-15C, took a day and a half to clear after racking without any finings. appeared a bit cloudy again after it was primed in the bottle.. not worried tho its all stashed away in the kitchen ;)

the strawberry,cherry,raspberry one sells in asda... tesco have the cherry and raspberry

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:13 pm

I got myself a bottle of the Strawberry syrup from Asda a few weeks back to try an experimental brew which went something like this...

2 litres of Red Grape juice (Lidl - 92p a l)
Topped up to 4.7l with water
700g of sugar
1/2 tsp of wine tannin
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp of glycerine
1 tsp of citric acid
1 vit B1 tablet crushed
1 pkt of Bordeaux yeast (Gervin)
OG was about 1080
Fermented down to .990 in 3 weeks and left to clear
De gassed and added 1 camdem tablet and 1 tsp of Potassium sorbate
added 300ml of Strawberry Syrup and bottled up.

Tasting fantastic and a respectable 12% abv

jstev21

Post by jstev21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:31 am

And tonight i couldnt wait i need to try the raspberry one...

i am in awe, love it lol

as u can see, its clear, red, bubbly and very very very tasty

frikkin strawberry still hasnt cleared :( will be doing this one again for deffo

second2none

Post by second2none » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:32 am

Awww man nice pictures I'm really jealous!
Yeasss fermentation is taking longer for everyone due to the lower temperatures, two of my brews should have been done done today but they are still bubbling like crazy!

Yeah I hold my hands up Im rubbish at priming, my last batch of dandilion and burdock fizzed so much, it was like I won the grand prix and was spraying everyone with champagne!
If my orginal 45g of priming sugar is too much then please reduce it! and if it works better please tell us!
But what im finding with priming is:

If you wanna drink it stranght away (like a week after) then 45g is great
If you are going to leave it to age/mello/or make more than you can drink in 2/3 weeks then 45g is far tooooooo much

Thanks for the great feedback and if you wanna post "Upgraded" recipes go ahead im just happy that this post has had nearly 1000 views!