Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
guy.joseph

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by guy.joseph » Sun May 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Oh well, if it goes wrong it will have cost me the whole of £1.50 :P

Base

Post by Base » Sun May 08, 2011 6:58 pm

I've used some bread yeast today, in my bread machine :=P

GSMunn

Post by GSMunn » Mon May 09, 2011 8:27 am

guy.joseph wrote:Oh well, if it goes wrong it will have cost me the whole of £1.50 :P
That's the spirit atleast =] All in the name of experimentation!

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Mon May 09, 2011 3:54 pm

http://hw.libsyn.com/p/8/e/8/8e81450268 ... id=1511211

Well it seemed to work for those guys (beer is closer to bread than this I know) but I will let you guys know how it turns out. It smells great at the moment :)

I'm thinking that considering a 25L batch would cost be under £10, I'll probably get some wine yeast and do that next.

Gordonmull

Post by Gordonmull » Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Bread machine? Oh dear. What's next, a beer machine that turns out ok booze that looks terrible?

It's OT but seriously it takes about 15 mins of effort to make a loaf by hand. e.g:

Combine ingredients in bowl. When together should feel about the same firmness as what a woman keeps in her bra (seriously, it's actually a near perfect comparison). At this point the missus can be of valuable help. Add flour or water to compensate. "Check consistency" again. Knead for 10 mins (the bread!). At this point tell missus to pipe down because you're concentrating and hey presto 10 mins of peace.

Chuck it in bowl and cover with clingy.

Drink for 2 hours. You can still say you're making bread for this whole time! Just get up every now and again, inspect and make hmmm....hummm... noises

Batter the hell out of it for 30 secs and mould.

Now to what your machine cannot do - Brush with water or just soak your hand and rub water over it. At the rubbing point it's perfectly fair to wish it was what a woman keeps in her bra. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and make shallow cuts diagonally. Now either place in a tin if you want square sarnie bread or on a baking tray if you want roundish soup dipping bread.

Drink for another 2 hours until it doubles in size. (The bread!). The making bread excuse is still perfectly valid.

Bake for 25-30 mins while consuming more beverages, wait 10 mins while making sure you're fully topped up, remember this stuff is going to soak up valuable booze. Cut, apply a slice or two of butter. No don't scrape bits offf the block, slice it like cheese, thickly, with a knife. Slap big chunk of butter between two bits of warm bread and drink for 30 seconds. Eat and welcome to heaven.

So for the sake of 15 mins work it has cost you your sobriety and got you some peace from the missus. In fact it was probably more hassle to read this post.

And it doesn't look like a brick. You may also get to resample the contents of what the missus keeps in her bra owing to your culinary genius.

second2none

Post by second2none » Wed May 11, 2011 12:44 am

Bread yeast is great at creating alot of co2 as fast as possible, but has a very low torrencey to alcohol and produces alot of off flavours.
Just correct me if Im wrong but I always thought roughly speaking....

Bread yeast < 2 %?
Thats closer to a soft drink than anything I brew!

Come on guys get urselves some youngs high alcohol wine yeast from Wilkinsons £1.20 for a big tub, it very versitile and you can really abuse it and it still gives great results

or for more refined brewing I found that http://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/yeasts-nutrient-c-9_39.html has some fun yeasties to experient on at the cheapest prices I could find!!

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Wed May 11, 2011 5:14 pm

I will be on the way over to Wilkos this weekend, and I'll pick up a pot of yeast.

You might be right, I've just done a hydrometer test on it and it's not changed that much. I think I'll just go for a 25 litre batch next week.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Wed May 11, 2011 5:20 pm

This is tasting great already. Can't wait to taste it freezing cold and fizzy!

second2none

Post by second2none » Wed May 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for thepossitive feedback!

I just made a TC out of pear and apple juice and added this raspberry juice, it smells great but isnt as clear as the raspberry stuff on its own is,
so ive just added some fins and really cant wait to get it bottled and sampled!

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Have just done a hydrometer test for the second day running, and there is barely any difference. However, it does taste awesome - going to be even better when it's carbonated and cold.

I'm just about to order a pot of Yeast and I'll pick it up this weekend, ready for a 25 Litre batch next week when my Cider is finished in the big fermenter.

Many thanks for an awesome recipie - I can see myself drinking LOTS of this!

guy.joseph

Post by guy.joseph » Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 am

Got my first proper batch going well now!
Will be looking to bottle it next week all being well.
Have people found what the longest shelf life for this stuff is, or have you just drunk it all straight away :P?

second2none

Post by second2none » Fri May 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Mine all vanishes pretty quickly!
I don't think you would have to worry about its shelf life...
If its sealed and fizzy everything should be good for years... maybe :D
Its just like any wine really you can age it if you want but I didn't taste any difference between 1 week old and the longest any batch has lasted, 2 months old.

Thats one of the reasons why I like making this Raspberryade , almost instant gratification!

sinnerman

Post by sinnerman » Sat May 21, 2011 12:12 pm

I got a bottle of the Raspberry from Tesco yesterday and headed down to ASDA to try ang get one of the other bottles only to find my local ASDA doesnt seem to be pole friendly stocking none of it, So i went down to the local polish grocery where they had two shelves full of this in various flavours looks like its the same type of stuff.

Their range included

Cherry, Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Blackcurrent, Redcurrent, Rosehip, Lemon, Blueberry, and mixed bottles as well. So long as it turns out ok may have a few moths of experimenting ahead.

Cost £1.64

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Makes you think doesnt it...
This type of pure syrup drink is popular in other countries (Especially Poland), but not really so much here in the UK,
instead we have Vimto, Ribeana & Robbinsons which are all packed with Preservatives, Colours & Artifical Sweetners.

Oh the brighterside, I love the sound of fizzy blueberry juice!
I think you've just inspired me to put my shoes on and go find a Polish shop!

Titch
Piss Artist

Post by Titch » Sat May 21, 2011 1:42 pm

drank some last night, been bottled for around 11 days

tasted good, will have to put on another to "test" the taste obviously