Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
sinnerman

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by sinnerman » Sat May 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Just made a batch up with the bottle i bought this morning looks exactly the same as the supermarket stuff, just 420ml instead of 440ml so i added a tiny bit more suger, Brew cupboard is looking a bit crowded now.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon May 23, 2011 5:04 pm

floydmeddler wrote:Now then. Made some of this today. I added the full bottle of the raspberry stuff to 4.5L of water along with 50g of sugar. OG was 1035. If it ferments down to around the 1000 mark, it should come in at around 4.3%. This would be perfect as I'm hoping my girlfriend likes it.

I used a full sachet of Young's cider yeast. REALLY hope this tastes great. Even have visions of making a load for my wedding next year...

Cheers!

OK... So this has been in primary for 2.5 weeks. It's stopped at 1010 which has surprised me somewhat. Really thought it would be less! Perhaps it was because I used cider yeast? Anyway, gave it a bit of a stir and will let sit until the wknd. If it hasn't dropped I'm good to go. Will clear with bentonite for a week then bottle. May store upside down so that yeast gathers on underside of lid. Can freeze the necks, open them, scrape off the yeast deposit then allow to thaw. Just hinking that if I'm aiming to impress my missus, they should be fizzy, clear and yeast free!

second2none

Post by second2none » Mon May 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Floydmeddler...
50g of sugar sound a little on the low side, but there again I didnt realise my recipe was so strong till someone pointed it out. 50g of sugar to 4.5% sounds good thou.

I used different type of yeast to you but this has been the easy thing I have ever made to clear,
if it totally effortless, I have never needed any fins or bens to get it cystal clear.
I would have thought that it would have fermented lower than 1010, maybe being a little patient with it or maybe standing it in a sink full of warm water a few times might shunt it down to a lower FG and alow it to clear, but as for freezing and such, it really shouldnt be needed.

Maybe if you post some more info or maybe a photo some of us can help you out :)
If you look at sinnermans photos, that is pretty much how mine looks from start to finish
with a few bubbles on top and a little lees in the bottom but ruby red everywhere else.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey S2N, I'm pretty sure this has fermented out. Used a full sachet of yeast (suitable for 5 gallons) and it's been 2 and a half weeks. I have roused the yeast so if there's any more fermenting to be done, it should be kicked into action. Either way, I don't mind. I'd much prefer a weaker full bodied drink anyway. It comes in at 3.8% as is. Pretty perfect for a summer's day.

I'll rack at the weekend. May still use some bentonite to speed it along though. Will see how it's looking. Smells good at the minute! Impressed so far!

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Mon May 23, 2011 8:47 pm

I just ditched 2 gallons of this stuff. I did the original recipe with 400g of sugar and a bottle of syrup in a gallon. One gallon brewed with Youngs white wine yeast the other with us05. Both stopped at 1030. Couldn't get them to budge: warmed up, sprinkled some champagne yeast on top, made a starter with some extra Youngs super wine yeast compound and added that. Still no movement after 2 weeks. I'm thinking the yeast just burnt out as too much sugar, but maybe I didn't aerate it enough. I could have bottled it but I didn't want to make 16 cherry bombs!

So just started again with floydmeddlers version of the recipe - 2 gallons and 50g of sugar and a bottle of raspberry syrup in each plus one spoon of super wine yeast compound. Fingers crossed!!

colgilbec
Piss Artist

Post by colgilbec » Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Read these posts and i am really interested in giving this novelty brew/brews a go.
Does anyone know if this stuffs available to buy in the north east anywhere i.e Durham or surrounding areas?,i,ve trawled the Big Supermarkets but to no avail,as above mentioned beforehand, it seems you can get anything with additives or E numbers.
You know when you want something and you can,t get it?????.
If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cats back and drop it from a building, it hovers just above the ground rotaing slowly.

HighHops

Post by HighHops » Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 pm

colgilbec wrote:Read these posts and i am really interested in giving this novelty brew/brews a go.
Does anyone know if this stuffs available to buy in the north east anywhere i.e Durham or surrounding areas?,i,ve trawled the Big Supermarkets but to no avail,as above mentioned beforehand, it seems you can get anything with additives or E numbers.
You know when you want something and you can,t get it?????.
Hey colgilbec! I saw something in B&M at the weekend that was called margarita mix - just add tequila (or sugar and yeast I thought). I picked up a bottle thinking of this thread, turned it around to see a massive list of additives and a warning that said 'May cause hyper activity or short attention span in children'. Scary!!

second2none

Post by second2none » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 am

Hi colgilbec...
I'm in the northwest (Bolton)
I would have thought if we have it here then it would be available in the north east.
It seems that its sweeping its way throu asda stores and then tesco, sainsburys are following suit.

I'd offer to post you a bottle if I knew a million other requests wouldnt come pooring in, ohh and if I could trust the royal mail with anything!
Just keep your eyes open, anything without E's has the potentiental to become a great brew..... I hope it pops up soon for you!

Base

Post by Base » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 am

Base wrote:Hi this is our first time brewing. Tonight(8-5-11) we made a gallon each of strawberry, rasberry, and cherry.

We sanitized everything and rinsed with cold water.

We followed the recipe in the first post.

We dissolved the sugar in 1 litre from kettle. Then we added the bottle of syrup, and topped up to 3.5 litre total volume which we had marked on the side earlier. We left 1 litre clearance to add one more litre of water in a day or two. We didn't want to risk a "blowout."

Once it was at the 3.5 L mark we added 1 teaspoon of youngs super wine yeast compound and swirled so that the yeast was not sitting dry on top.

We forgot our thermometer but the trial jar felt just slightly cool to the touch and we guessed that it was about 60F. We took Sg and it was 1.082, that's high(I think) but remember we left out 1L of water.

My only concern right now is that do you think that the sugar concentrate might be too strong for the yeast to start? I doubt it but thought I would ask anyways.

Also, whats the ideal fermentation temperature for this?

I tried all the syrups with water and I like the cherry the best :)
So its been 15 days now. Temps have been really low. 12-18c, average 14-15ish.

They've all been topped up to 5L now. They are all bubbling still at 11-14 seconds.

SG of each, Cherry 1020 , Raspberry 1022 , and strawberry 1030.

At this rate it seems like it could take forever. I will test in two more days and see where they are then.

They all taste pretty good so far.

Can some one tell me what the SG should have been in the beginning? (1 bottle, 400g additional sugar to a total of 5L of water? ) I'd like to know what the %'s are right now.

Also how low should I let this go if I want to bottle fizzy? Will it go down to 1.000 ish?

sinnerman

Post by sinnerman » Tue May 24, 2011 8:24 am

the OG on the two i put together on the weekend were 10.48 for the cherry and 10.52 for the raspberry

Base

Post by Base » Tue May 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Were those made with the recipe in the first post? (400g sugar)

Also was that the temp adjusted reading?

second2none

Post by second2none » Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

This is my effort to keep my brews a little warmer so they dont take forever to ferment out!
The radiator comes on for a bout an hour in the evening and if I keep the door shut the brews seem a little happier!
Normally they are covered up a little better but uncoved then to illistrate the point!
It just better than them sat in the cold conservatory :D

(Thats Cherry in the brown DJ, Rasberry Rosé in the middle and sweet gingerbeer on the right)

Base

Post by Base » Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey thats a pretty good idea. I'd thought about something like that.

He has no heating in his house what so ever though so insulating them would still be helpful to keep the temp up at night.

I've got no room at my house for it so its over at his :=P

I've also thought about getting some cheap fish tank heaters. If you take a fish tank heater, put it in a water bottle, set it to the temp you want and seal it properly with silicone around the lead through the lid. Tends to heat the area.

I guess you could just place the submersible heater in a tub with water and place the dj's in there. #-o

second2none

Post by second2none » Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm a cheapskate and avoid expense at all costs!

But there again I just did a quick search and came up with this heater:
http://www.topsellings.com/en/50-watt-t ... rrency=GBP

I couldnt beleive they are only £4.45 and you can set them to the ideal temperature for the little yeasties! AWW I WANT THREE NOW!!

Humm I wonder if you can electrocute yeast :D

Base

Post by Base » Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Minimum order is 37 though :P