Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
candygold1

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by candygold1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 pm

made a turbo raspberry/apple on saturday and just realized ive made a big cock up, i put 200g of sugar instead of 20 and checked the sg and the hydrometer almost sunk i can just see the tip, is this doomed or can i save it [-o<

mdex

Post by mdex » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am

candygold1 wrote:made a turbo raspberry/apple on saturday and just realized ive made a big cock up, i put 200g of sugar instead of 20 and checked the sg and the hydrometer almost sunk i can just see the tip, is this doomed or can i save it [-o<
Add water to dilute?

poo hed

Post by poo hed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:00 am

candygold1 wrote:made a turbo raspberry/apple on saturday and just realized ive made a big cock up, i put 200g of sugar instead of 20 and checked the sg and the hydrometer almost sunk i can just see the tip, is this doomed or can i save it [-o<
confusing :?

do you mean final gravity and your on about priming it for bottling?

are you making 5l of it ? is 20g recommended for priming 5l ? :?

i don't get what your on about, and yes; i am stupid!

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:16 am

Telco sell a blackcurrant juice. 2l for £1.09 called caprio in the polish aisle that tastes absolutely amazing when brewed with a litre of apple juice. back sweeten it and its just like a fruit shoot.

Total cost under £3 :-)

Chessman83

Post by Chessman83 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi I'm a bit of a noob to all this, but I have been hanging around the forum for a while. I put a batch of the original recepie yesterday I used a gervin wine yeast "gv4 (26)". Will this be ok?

I've also taken a trip to the local "Polska" shop and bought the blackberry flavour and an apple & cinimon flavour.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:28 pm

without scolling thro all these posts, can someone give me a tried recipe for blackcurrant cider, might save my marriage! :)
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Chessman83

Post by Chessman83 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:41 pm

So I started this off on Tuesday but it's not bubbling very much, I'd say one bubble every 20 seconds. Does this sound about right?

adamlikesthings

Post by adamlikesthings » Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm

hey there,

only ever made a few beer kits before, but decided to give this a go after picking up a 1 gallon demijohn and that raspberry syrup in tesco, just need some basic advise first, just the steps to follow. first i sterilise everything rinse etc. once i've done that do i add the syrup first, or some water first? should i add some boiling water, say 1 litre then the syrup and sugar and then top up with cold water? also what temp do you pitch the yeast? lots of noob questions, hoping someone can answer.

cheers, adam.

*edit - do i need to add 1/2 a campden tablet as i do live in a hard water area?

second2none

Post by second2none » Thu May 17, 2012 7:43 pm

If you heat up a few pints of water to desolve ur sugar and then add the syrup and top up with cold water.
I normally make a "yeast starter" get a glass of Luke warm water from ur hot tap will do and add a few spoons of sugar to it and ur yeast and cover it with cling film and leave it to one side for about 5-10 mins and u will see bubble form on the surface.

You can then add this to ur water-syrup mix!

The only thing u need to remember with this is not to add yeast to any liquid over 25c

adamlikesthings

Post by adamlikesthings » Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 pm

cheers mate, its in my demijohn now, looking forward to this, cant believe how cheap it is =D>

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:42 pm

far9410 wrote:without scolling thro all these posts, can someone give me a tried recipe for blackcurrant cider, might save my marriage! :)
Take 2 litres apple juice and 2 litres blackcurrant juice, add 200+ grams sugar (dissolved in pint water) and bung it in along with a teaspoon yeast and nutrient. leave some place warm to ferment. rack then bottle. hey presto. alcoholic fruit shoots, well almost.

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Read the first few pages and the last few.....Is the raspberryade recipe in the opening post still the main one people are working too?

Barticus

Post by Barticus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am

Have made this today and it certainly smells delicious on the way in.

SG was a 1064 and I also started it using the yeast starter as described.

Possibly filled the DJ a little too much but not sure how lively this gets compared to wow so watching it carefully!!!

Thanks to the opening poster for sharing the recipe.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Chessman83 wrote:Hi I'm a bit of a noob to all this, but I have been hanging around the forum for a while. I put a batch of the original recepie yesterday I used a gervin wine yeast "gv4 (26)". Will this be ok?

I've also taken a trip to the local "Polska" shop and bought the blackberry flavour and an apple & cinimon flavour.
Gervin GV4 is more or less the "Vinnie Jones" of the yeast world - given the right levels of sugar and yeast nutrient, it can push all the way to 21% alcohol ! thats on a par with some of the "turbo still" moonshine wash yeasts that cost 4-5 times more.

Im about to start two liquer recipies using GV4 and the current range of Lidl Nectars (Banana and Sour Cherry) to make my own 20% Kirsch and Creme De Banane - I'll report back on the results :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

simo

Post by simo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm

i started one of these raspberry-ade recipes a week ago now. SG was 1040 and a week later it is 1030.

I thought this would be a quick brew :(

at this rate its gonna take a month to ferment.

1 blip in the airlock every 23 seconds.

i used the syrup, 1 tsp of cider yeast, 10 dessert spoons of sugar and topped up with water to 4.5 litres.

simon