ROOT BEER

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
jordanchaos

ROOT BEER

Post by jordanchaos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Looking to make a full bodied root beer, fizzy, sweet, with that glorious TCP taste.

I think the trick will be lactose for sweetness, but any help appreciated.

Wooderson

Re: ROOT BEER

Post by Wooderson » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 pm

Alcoholic too? That's always been the dream for me too.

I did notice on ebay the other day there were bottles of root beer syrup designed for sodastreams, could be worth a look.

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 pm

I have in the past bought the RB essence and added it to a sugar and water yeast mix and its been good.

you could always get some Germaline or pepto bismol and mix that up ;)

I love root beer.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 pm

Interesting project :)

Looks like sweet root beer or alcoholic root beer are both easy to make - making one thats both is difficult ! Ferment and back sweeten sounds like the winner.

I noticed that they also do Dandelion & Burdock in soda stream syrup... that would be sweet too ;)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Wooderson

Post by Wooderson » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:18 pm

There was a guy on here who made cola using a syrup, I think he ferment sugar water and added the syrup prior to bottling.

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm

second2none

Post by second2none » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Im the guy who did the post on fermentin g sodastream stuff, and looks like that recipe has vanished from this site but i also posted it on http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewt ... 41&t=15105

I tried the dnadylion and burdock soda stream stuff it was really really nice!
but i didnt account for the amount of sugar in the syrup and coz of that my bottles became uber fizzy!
to the point that some of the glass bottles exploded! Please dont let me put u off but take into accountthe sugar content when using them! This is one of the main reasons why I found using the diet versions gave better results because they brews stayed sweet and didnt become over fizzy :D

This recipe sounds soo good I look forward to how it turns out! But I have had problems finding burdock root so if you kmnow where to get it from please say!

jordanchaos

Post by jordanchaos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Ok here are some quick results.

A&W syrup added to a corona clone beer base and left for a month. Undrinkable, just awful.
A&W syrup added to a TC Cider base and left for a month, Undrinkable.... Added some sugar syrup - just a tiny tiny spoonful! WOWOWOWOWOW the most amazing thing happens! its beautiful!!!