Bakers yeast in TC

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Bert

Bakers yeast in TC

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Has anyone tried bakers yeast in TC? If so, what was it like? I have run out of yeast and am bored so was thinking of trying it.

Cheers

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Bakers yeast in TC

Post by Pinto » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Wouldnt recommend it - Bakers yeast is optimised for CO2 production, not alcohol or flavours - might end up with something nasty.

But you might just not :-k :lol:
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Bert

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Pinto wrote:Wouldnt recommend it - Bakers yeast is optimised for CO2 production, not alcohol or flavours - might end up with something nasty.

But you might just not :-k :lol:
Thanks for the info, based on that I think I will give it a miss! Will have to drink some beer instead! Cheers

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 am

I've actually tied it. Don't! I read somewhere that brewing and baking were related originally and the beer would be started with bakers yeast, possibly throwing in a lump of yeated dough. I'll try most things, however dumb and I like making bread, so I did a mash and baked and used bakers yeast for both - fortunately just in a galllon, because it wasn't nice. Just didn''t taste right, whereas the other 4 gallons pitched with ale yeast was nice

Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 pm

raiderman wrote:I've actually tied it. Don't! I read somewhere that brewing and baking were related originally and the beer would be started with bakers yeast, possibly throwing in a lump of yeated dough. I'll try most things, however dumb and I like making bread, so I did a mash and baked and used bakers yeast for both - fortunately just in a galllon, because it wasn't nice. Just didn''t taste right, whereas the other 4 gallons pitched with ale yeast was nice
Thanks for that, I'm glad I didn't use it now!

devexwarrior

Post by devexwarrior » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Bottled my TC last night. Half done with ale yeast half with wine yeast. Still looks like hippo piss!

Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

devexwarrior wrote:Bottled my TC last night. Half done with ale yeast half with wine yeast. Still looks like hippo piss!
Haha I am about to rack off my first TC, did it with champagne yeast. Interested to see if it tastes as bad as it looks!

Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 pm

FG 1000, that champagne yeast is cracking stuff!

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm

During prohibition a lot of stuff was fermented with bread yeast and was...not good.
For a small experimental batch, maybe, but I wouldn't risk a full size batch.
I'm just here for the beer.

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:04 pm

I have and always use allinsons bread yeast 1 teaspoon with 6 litres of farmoods apple juice nothing else added just sugar to carbonate in bottles and it is absolutely stunning people who don't drink cider have tried it and asked for more.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:15 pm

I've used baker's yeast too. It wasn't nasty, but it was unfamiliar to most palates, so I could see where that accusation comes from. It didn't resemble a refined ale/wine/cider strain, it was more like a spicy/earthy/oddly-composty Belgian yeast. Like Pinto said, Baker's Yeast has undergone selective conditioning to produce massive CO2, so your cider will attenuate further than usual, with very little residual sweetness, a very dry finish, and strong Champagne-like carbonation. So, if you're a fan of this kinda dry cider, it's well-worth experimenting with.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:17 pm

My first few TC's were with Tesco baking yeast as it was all I had in the cupboard.
The results were great and it certainly never put me off using it again.

emanresu_reeb_tuol

Post by emanresu_reeb_tuol » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 pm

seymour wrote:I've used baker's yeast too. It wasn't nasty, but it was unfamiliar to most palates, so I could see where that accusation comes from. It didn't resemble a refined ale/wine/cider strain, it was more like a spicy/earthy/oddly-composty Belgian yeast. Like Pinto said, Baker's Yeast has undergone selective conditioning to produce massive CO2, so your cider will attenuate further than usual, with very little residual sweetness, a very dry finish, and strong Champagne-like carbonation. So, if you're a fan of this kinda dry cider, it's well-worth experimenting with.
That is definitely true I love an extra fizzy cider maybe adding bakers yeast to a lager will give it a better fizz I can never seem to get a proper lager fizz with the kit yeast, has anybody tried that?