What influence does the yeast have on a TC?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Morten

What influence does the yeast have on a TC?

Post by Morten » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:49 pm

I haven't done ciders before, so be patient :-)

I would like to brew a TC, my LHBS is closed for summer, but I do have a lot of S04 and US05 on stock.

I would a very dry, crisp cider without much other aromas/tastes than I would add through the AJ.

Will one of either yeast do the job?

Jeltz
Piss Artist

Re: What influence does the yeast have on a TC?

Post by Jeltz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 pm

I asked something similar on another forum I was interested in using ale yeast as I thought the lower attenuation would produce a slightly sweeter drink (which my wife would refer) but I was assured that it would produce odd flavours.

I would try to obtain wine or champaign yeast if you can, one day though I shall have a go with some washed yeast from a brew and do a small batch.
Rega

Morten

Post by Morten » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Cheers, I'll see if I can find an appropriate yeast.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I think ale yeasts such as S-04 and US-05 are perfectly fine for fermenting cider too. Ale yeast, cider yeast, wine yeast, sake yeast, baker's yeast...for the most part we're always talking about near identical strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I know, I know, ale strains have been selectively bred to excel at fermenting maltose sugars from grain and cider yeasts have been selectively bred to excel at fermenting fructose and glucose from apples, but at the end of the day most Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains will ferment most sugars. There is no scientific support for the claim an ale yeast will automatically produce odd-flavours in apple juice. As always, most flaws are due to sanitation or temperature issues, overall health of your yeast population, etc.

I'd say go for it. Use what you've got, it's certainly more pure and reliable than spontaneously fermented apple juice, the way our ancestors did it. One of the best ciders I've ever tasted, commercial or homemade, was fermented with a cheapo packet of dry Muntons ale yeast.