I have just bought 24 liters of Orange juice...help!

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
mattwilson

I have just bought 24 liters of Orange juice...help!

Post by mattwilson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi All, first post on this page so please be gentle....

I have just bought 24 liters of Tesco's orange 100% orange juice from concentrate (reduced to 85p for 4 liters), thinking a cheeky 5 gall brew for under a fiver seems a great idea.

anyone see any issues with the recipe below, or any suggestions to improve flavour? I have basically jsut gone with what i already have in stock, as i'm trying to keep the brew as cheap as possible, but will look at adding stuff it it can be greatly improved...aiming for a table wine I can sup from the fridge, nothing too fancy, around the 12% mark.

i also can do with knowing about quantities of pectolase, citric acid (if needed?), stabiliser and yeast nutrient.

24 Liters Orange
1 pack Wilko's wine yeast
pecto
nutrient
stabliser
2kg Sugar

Thanks for any help!
---

if interested, i've brewed a couple of wines before, an apple wine last year currently sat bottled for summer, a ribena wine finished last week, bottled ready for storing, a fruit juice wine on the go, and roughly 15 differant beer kits over the years.

CJR
Under the Table

Re: I have just bought 24 liters of Orange juice...help!

Post by CJR » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Issue that shouts loudly at me is 24L of OJ. Very acidic stuff. I'd suggest pitching onto a yeast slurry from a previous wine or make a very active starter. Add the OJ gradually possibly.

Alternatively make a number of batches of WOW. :)
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

mattwilson

Post by mattwilson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:15 pm

The WOW recipe looks good...my impulse buy may have been an error. As I'll need a lot more grape juice... But I will see...maybe starting it with lots of sugar and 1 gallon, pitch the yeast, then gradually adding more as you say.

I think I'm going to just got for it and see what happens...vit miss out the citric acid! !!

Thanks for the advice.

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Reassuring words.........potassium carbonate

mattwilson

Post by mattwilson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Potassium carbonate sounds like a good idea, i'm heading over to the brew shop tomorrow so I'll see what I can get. I just set the orange up, but only a shorter brew of 8 liters, added 1.5kg sugar to get it to 1.080 on the hydrometer, 2 tsp pecto and will add the nutrient with the yeast in the morning.

I've pretty much winged it so far as I guess it's trial and error. If anyone spots any glaring mistakes please let me know!

Thanks for the advice.

Now what to do with the other 16 liters.....

OnlyFerment

Post by OnlyFerment » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Could always get a shed load of 85p apple juice and make an apple and orange WOW - I only bought apple juice and am making TC.

Dave

mattwilson

Post by mattwilson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:29 pm

So I took the risk and pitched the yeast straight in...no potassium etc, the brew shop was closed so I thought I'd risk it. Tastes very sweet pre yeast, and after yeast added its now bubbling like a gooden. Will see if that continues over the next week or so, but may have got away with it.

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

I suspect it will be alcoholic but quite horrible. But, hey, the ingredients were cheap!

mattwilson

Post by mattwilson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 pm

always one to make my life difficult, i just visited tesco's again, and they now have the apple juice, 4 liters for 85p (not sure if this is just the Lincoln store) - i'll add the 8 liters to the orange as a warped version of the WOW recipe.....so now have 16 liters of half and half.

may taste better, but yeah, for a 1 pack of yeast and £3.80's worth of fruit juice, 16 liters of average wine seems a pretty good deal.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:38 am

fatbloke wrote:Reassuring words.........potassium carbonate
Sorry to hijack this - but I have been wondering for a while, why is potassium carbonate the preferred chemical for raising pH? Sodium bicarbonate is in everyone's cupboard and will work, but I'm guessing there's a good reason not to use it...