Solid Apples Help

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
second2none

Solid Apples Help

Post by second2none » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 pm

I saw these in asda for .... 85p on the world food isle and couldn't resist
that's 2.5kg of solid packed apples for 85p so first of all I'm noit sure how much cider this could be made into I think it will more thank likely fill a 5L Dj

Now Im not really a cider maker so I was wondering if any one has used canned apples for cider and if there are any tricks I can be made aware of,

And please if any of you know a recipe or a method that would favour this sort of apple mush.

Thankyou for your help

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Solid Apples Help

Post by Jambo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Interesting. Sorry to disappoint but since 5L of water weighs 5 kg I'm pretty confident you won't fill a demijohn with this :)

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:18 pm

When I press scratted (mushed-up) apples to extract juice for cider making I get around 60% of weight as juice, i.e 10kg apples = 6L juice
So if your can contains just mushed apples with no concentration you'd get about 1/4 of that = 1.5L of juice, maybe less as volumes small.

You've still got options

Add body & flavour to a TC.
Add to a Demijohn. add AJ & pectolase, leave a day the add yeast.
Brew in DJ leaving a gap, once fermented out rack, top up with AJ, when finished rack & bottle

Flavour an apple wine
Again with the addition of pectolase, then a day after yeast, nutrient, sugar and water in a covered bucket and brew on the pulp for 5-7 days then strain into a DJ.

Have fun.

second2none

Post by second2none » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:33 pm

No that's not a disappointment, in the super market it was a bloody big can but ur right its not even going to half fill the DJ
(Maybe that's for the best)

Not being a cider maker I never thought that most of this pulp is going to be fibre and cider makers press the juice so as you recommended I think its all going in with some apple juice to make some TC with maybe some ginger or cinnamon.

jmc

Post by jmc » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:45 pm

second2none wrote:No that's not a disappointment, in the super market it was a bloody big can but ur right its not even going to half fill the DJ

Not being a cider maker I never thought that most of this pulp is going to be fibre and cider makers press the juice so as you recommended I think its all going in with some apple juice to make some TC with maybe some ginger or cinnamon.
Sounds good. Some spiced TC for Christmas / New Year
I'd be interested if the apple pulp was pre-cooked, which is probably likely as it was canned.
It may then taste of apple-pie rather than fresh apple-juice.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:34 am

jmc wrote:
second2none wrote:No that's not a disappointment, in the super market it was a bloody big can but ur right its not even going to half fill the DJ

Sounds good. Some spiced TC for Christmas / New Year
I'd be interested if the apple pulp was pre-cooked, which is probably likely as it was canned.
It may then taste of apple-pie rather than fresh apple-juice.
I did a Spiced Brown Ale for Christmas last Year, I`m sure these ingredients would work in a TC.
10Lt Brew Spiced, 10Lt Normal.
3 Cloves, 1tsp Nutmeg, 1tsp Allspice, 1tsp Cinnamon, 1tsp Coriander, 1tsp Ginger, zest of 1 Orange and 1 Lemon.
Great Christmassy Smell and taste.
Normal Kit 5.4%, Spiced Kit 7.7%. Don`t know why there is such a difference in the ABV, both were Very Nice!
I`ve used Ginger, Nutmeg and Cinnamon in a TC before and they were great at 7.1% :D All the other stuff would be Very nice!
I think I`ll knock one up tomorrow!

WA

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:22 am

Thanks to you all, I feel much happier now
Just thinking if the apple pulp fils the di half full I'm going to need
Another 2.5- 3L of liquid I was thinking 2L apple juice and 1L of water
Would that seem about right?

jmc

Post by jmc » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 am

Have a read of the excellent topic
Turbo Cider

I'd just add AJ, a pinch of yeast nutrient and a cup of strong tea, then your yeast. I used to use Fullers yeast in TC.