Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

For any brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Post Reply
chris2012
Under the Table
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

Post by chris2012 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:08 am

I'm planning on making some rice wine, but I'm wondering, why doesn't it become poisonous, for example reading:

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheat ... egoryID=51

"If rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea."

It seems with rice wine, the rice + water is going to be nearish room temperature I think, while it's fermenting?

I could understand the alcohol possibly helping to kill bacteria, but surely that'd take a while to appear.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Newton-le-Willows ( St Helens/Warrington)

Re: Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

Post by aamcle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 am

It's a different bug doing the fermenting simple as that.

aamcle

chris2012
Under the Table
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

Post by chris2012 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 am

Sorry i wasn't clear, i realise you add koji to the rice to do conversion.

I'm worried about the Bacillus cereus being present in the rice.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 996
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Garden of England

Re: Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

Post by jaroporter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:10 am

while we're waiting for the microbiologists to get here.. my understanding is that one thing that helps is the low pH stops the bacteria from reproducing (and therefore forming toxins).

the more i recently dig into funky brewing the more i find myself up late studying biochemistry. i figure that if it's been working throughout the centuries it's gotta be fine but i'd still like know for sure how to avoid poisoning my buddies. i've managed to get a reasonable degree of understanding but i'll be hoping someone comes along and makes your answer clear :)
dazzled, doused in gin..

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 626
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:26 am

Re: Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

Post by Secla » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:39 am

just not a hospitable environment for them to thrive. low ph and alcohol

chris2012
Under the Table
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: Rice Wine/Sake - why isn't it poisonous

Post by chris2012 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Yeah you must be right, just found this - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3929989/

Both the ABV & acid levels seem to increase much faster than I thought.

Post Reply