what to make?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Crastney
Steady Drinker

what to make?

Post by Crastney » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:41 pm

I've been given a couple of specific beer yeasts (in plastic tubes, sealed, liquid yeasts, possibly gone past use by date) - I don't recall exactly which, but they're both WhiteLabs.

problem is that I don't make beer.

I have lots of fruit in the freezer. Rhubarb, ginger, gooseberries, currants, etc. I was going to make a rhubarb and ginger wine, as that was excellent last time, and something else.

Will using beer yeast be ok, or will I end up with a low alcohol fruit wine, that doesn't taste great?
If I don't add much sugar then the starting gravity will be low enough for the yeast to cope with, but the abv will be a lot lower than a standard wine.

does anyone have any good obvious reasons not to try this?

TIA

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Re: what to make?

Post by lord.president » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Beer yeast fill stop at 1010 gravity,so what’s left will be a sweet mess.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 pm

lord.president wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 pm
Beer yeast fill stop at 1010 gravity,so what’s left will be a sweet mess.
um, no it really wont.. :wink:

you might get a slightly higher final gravity but nothing like 1,010.
some yeasts would obviously suit better (flavour also) so be interesting to know which ya got, but some have a high alcohol tolerance and could do wine strengths no problem with good handling
dazzled, doused in gin..

stokie_spaceman
Steady Drinker

Post by stokie_spaceman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:31 am

I often use dry ale yeast for cider and this gets to 1.0 gravity easily because the short chain sugars in fruit and well, sugar, are easy to munch. It's important to pitch healthy yeast and for fruit based brews, yeast nutrient that would otherwise come from a beer wort.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm

I'll update this thread when I get some free time to actually make something...
(I also have 40 fruit flavour tea bags that I got a few years ago, from approved food - to make a fruit wine, which hasn't happened yet either... {approved food sells stuff that is nearing it's 'best before' date - stuff that they buy super cheap from supermarkets, and then sell cheap online - vast discounts on the RRP, if you're ok with buying delabelled stuff, or things that might be 'past their best'}