Cocktails

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Cocktails

Post by Laripu » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Mostly, I don't like 'em.

When I drink whiskey, I usually mix it with water because otherwise it's too strong for me. About 75% water, 25% whiskey. With whiskey and water I can taste the whisky, with a much diminished burn.

I've occasionally had rye and ginger ale, or Canadian whisky and ginger ale. It's ok. Only the Canada Dry brand will do. Same proportions.

I tried something the either day that was different and actually very good. Same proportions as above, Tamarindo and Canadian whisky.

Tamarindo is a Mexican carbonated soft drink flavoured by - you guessed it - tamarind. It's slightly sour, and not nearly as sweet as Coca Cola.

Drawback: it contains artificial colour Red 40.

I was wondering whether I could make something like that myself, without the potentially harmful colouring agent. Maybe a low alcohol ferment, under 2%, with Indian tamarind paste and a little beet juice, sweetened by pure stevia and primed with piloncillo (a Mexican undefined sugar similar to jaggery). I might drink it straight, or mix it with whisky as above.

Here's a picture of it:

Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Cocktails

Post by WalesAles » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Lari,
Your Liver must be taking a hammering with all these different drinks in your house! :D :D

WA

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:24 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 pm
Lari,
Your Liver must be taking a hammering with all these different drinks in your house! :D :D
I'm a very good boy. I stick to one drink a day, or zero if I'm under the weather, and occasionally two for working-at-home Coronavirus stress.

Scotch goes with the American cop show TV series Blue Bloods. Canadian whisky went with hockey games, but they've suspended the season due to COVID-19. Bourbon is for when Trump says something stoopiderer than the last stupid thing he said.

Beer is for accompanying food. Unless the food is salmon, then mead does nicely.

Too bad about the colour in Tamarindo.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 am

Laripu wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm
When I drink whiskey, I usually mix it with water because otherwise it's too strong for me. About 75% water, 25% whiskey. With whiskey and water I can taste the whisky, with a much diminished burn.
This is the thing I've never got to grips with with whisky. Like you I'm not much of a spirits man, but I do like whisky. I was told by the head of some Scottish whisky appreciation club that the traditional way of drinking it was to add water until you don't get that smack in the face from the alcohol, as then you can maximise the flavour. Everyone has a different place where that line is which is why people pour it themselves.

I've tried to drink it that way a fair bit (I even lived in Edinburgh for a few years) but I always come back to drinking it neat. I quite like the alcohol punch I think.

Oh well, there's always still time to learn.
Never enough time...