Flatbread made with fermenter "sludge"

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Flatbread made with fermenter "sludge"

Post by brewbrew » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:19 pm

A slight twist on the previous bread recipes.

Put 3 tablespoons of plain yoghurt in a jug (you could replace the yoghurt with milk or water if you don't have yoghurt) . Then make up to 300g total with the yeasty/truby mix that you get left with when you run off your fresh beer from the fermenter (I made this with fresh sediment - but I don't see why you cant keep it for a day or 2). I used US05 from a pale ale. I pre-warmed the yoghurt in the microwave for 20 seconds to take off the chill because it was straight from the fridge.

Add 1 heaped teaspoon of salt, 2 heaped teaspoon of sugar and stir the gloopy mix and put it in a warm (eg 35 deg C warm oven or airing cupboard) for an hour.

Put 500g of strong white bread flour in a mixing bowl and add 2 tablespoons of veg oil (I used good quality olive oil). When the hour is up on the liquid warming, mix it into the flour with a spoon making a dough. It might seem a bit dry at first - but don't add any more liquid until you have really mixed. If necessary add a drop of water of a bit of flour if your dough does not resemble bread dough - use your hands towards the end of mixing. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and give it a good kneeding. Put it back in the mixing bowl and then put in a warm place to rise for 40 minutes. At this stage, you might be thinking that it smells very beery and might not go down well with non-beer consumers - don't worry, it looses all smell and taste of beer by the time the bread is made.

After the 40 mins rising, put the dough onto a floured surface and kneed again. Then divide the big ball of dough into small "buns" - I made them about the size of a large satsuma. You could bake them like this if you give them another 30 mins to rise and then bake at 180deg C until done - but much more fun to do flatbreads. Roll out the buns into flat pieces about hand sized and roughly oval/round and 3 to 4 mm thick. Dust with flour and place on a tray in a warm place for 15mins. Then bake on a hot surface brushed with oil. I used a ridged plate (like the Typhoon pan that you do steaks on) on my gas BBQ but you could use a heavy frying pan on a cooker. Get it good and hot and cook each side for 1 to 2 min or until they look done and puffed up. Best eaten hot. Goes well with meat and salad to make a meal or as a nice hot snack with a few beers. If you want to be indulgent, you could brush the warm bread with extra virgin olive oil or a good quality butter (Lurpak gets my vote).

Saves wasting that yeast!

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Flatbread made with fermenter "sludge"

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks, have saved as a word document ready for my next BBQ!