Uses for the spent malt

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Like the sounds of those biscuits DG for my dogs 8)

Question, What's a stick of butter in the states?
What's bullion, is it gelatin?

Cheers

dartgod

Post by dartgod » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:54 pm

A stick of butter is a half cup or 8 Tablespoons, so that would be 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons and bullion cubes are like chicken or beef stock ...dry concentrated.....1 cube dissolved in 1 cup of water would be like 1 cup of stock.....but you need 3 cubes in 2/3 cup of water (concentrated for flavoring)

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Many thanks, I'll be giving these a go 8)

dartgod

Post by dartgod » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:59 pm

My dogs tear them up....damn things won't quit following me around when they know their around :D

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Nice one there dartgod 8)
It seems malt is popular with most animals, even cats.

Although if truth be told I'd be tempted to eat them myself :wink:

dartgod

Post by dartgod » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:36 pm

prodigal2 wrote:Nice one there dartgod 8)
It seems malt is popular with most animals, even cats.

Although if truth be told I'd be tempted to eat them myself :wink:
They aren't bad..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Graham

Dog treats

Post by Graham » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:37 am

Don't put spent hops in these dog bickies though. There have been several reports of dogs snuffing it after eating discarded hops from homebrewers. They are toxic to some breeds of dogs, greyhounds in particular, but some other breeds are susceptible as well. There is some information on the Nerdosphere. Search for "Hop toxicity dogs"

BlightyBrewer

Post by BlightyBrewer » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:09 am

Great post! 8)

I like the idea of making dog biscuits - will have to give that a go for my hound.

prodigal2

Re: Dog treats

Post by prodigal2 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 am

Graham wrote:Don't put spent hops in these dog bickies though. There have been several reports of dogs snuffing it after eating discarded hops from homebrewers. They are toxic to some breeds of dogs, greyhounds in particular, but some other breeds are susceptible as well. There is some information on the Nerdosphere. Search for "Hop toxicity dogs"
Thats a very good piece of information to know cheers Graham. Though I must admit I would of never given hops to the muts, and knowing their fussyness they would probably turned their noses up :roll: Then again who knows they do like licking each others genitalia :roll:

Beatnik69

Re: Dog treats

Post by Beatnik69 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:22 pm

prodigal2 wrote:
Graham wrote:Don't put spent hops in these dog bickies though. There have been several reports of dogs snuffing it after eating discarded hops from homebrewers. They are toxic to some breeds of dogs, greyhounds in particular, but some other breeds are susceptible as well. There is some information on the Nerdosphere. Search for "Hop toxicity dogs"
Thats a very good piece of information to know cheers Graham. Though I must admit I would of never given hops to the muts, and knowing their fussyness they would probably turned their noses up :roll: Then again who knows they do like licking each others genitalia :roll:
I saw a dog licking his bits and thought 'I wish I could do that'

Then I found out, if I gave him a biscuit he'd let me!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: :=P

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:23 pm

The old ones are the best*

* jokes not dogs bits :lol:
Dan!

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:55 pm

:lol: :lol: