Deep Fried Turkey

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Frothy

Deep Fried Turkey

Post by Frothy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:24 am

A style of the "Deep South" USA. Cajun etc. The recipe doesn't actually use any alcoholic ingredients but it does make use of your homebrew boil kettle if its big enough. I had the idea after noticing that some american home brewers use "Turkey Boilers" to boil their beer up in.

Results are rather unexpected - very crispy on the outside, not at all greasy and very moist on the inside. Without being told you'd probably say it was roasted. So many people complain about the common dry christmas turkey and I think the deep frying really counteracts this, best of all the cooking time is really short.

Recommended bird 8-10lbs
Cook Time = 3minutes/ lb
Oil 163- 177oc
I found that 130-150oc was fine & my probe melted at ~ 130!!!

Oil needs to cover the Bird by an inch or more and for me this meant buying 15L of Sunflower Oil - which is on a par with Groundnut for being fairly thin & flavourless. Still this costs only ~ £8 @ Tescos. My 9lb bird cost £10 and cooked for 30minutes came out grand.

The only difficulty is lifting such a heavy piece in and out of the seriously hot oil. The american boilers come with a turkey stand (see above) to lift in and out with. Scratched my head for a long time and eventually I came up with the idea of running a stainless skewer right through the bird (sideways) I secured this tightly on a pair of cooking tongs which acted as a secure handle to lift it in and out with, I wore thick gloves at all times.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/fried-turk.html

cheapest meat around in the run up to christmas
Ho ho ho!
Matt

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:48 am

I hope you remembered to take the giblets out, Frothy! :wink: :lol:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:27 am

You could stuff it with a couple of Mars bars to keep our Scottish viewers happy! :wink:
Dan!

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:39 am

No! The only thing that saves Chrimbo dinner from sending me into coronary shock is the dull, low-fatness of the turkey.

Truth be told - turkey's flavourless rubbish with a coarse texture.

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Yah Jim I remembered at the last minute to take the gibblets out :) was a close one.

Seriously it's good but more importantly a bit of a novelty.

Matt

Immy's Dad

Post by Immy's Dad » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 pm

You should see the disclaimers on those Turkey fryers, apparently it is quite common practice to burn down one's home using this particular method of poultry preparation. :lol:

bod

Post by bod » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:46 pm

Andy wrote:You could stuff it with a couple of Mars bars to keep our Scottish viewers happy! :wink:
cream eggs would be far more apt. :lol:

Seveneer

Re: Deep Fried Turkey

Post by Seveneer » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Frothy wrote:I found that 130-150oc was fine & my probe melted at ~ 130!!!
Sounds painful :shock: Don't stand so close to it next time :lol:

/Phil.

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 pm

hur hur