Beer can chicken

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
Scooby

Beer can chicken

Post by Scooby » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:28 pm

I've seen mention of this cooking method on the forum, and it features in a supermarket mag, beer can chicken, chicken sitter, chicken on a throne, well here is my take on a dish that became popular because of some macho southern good-ol-boy fooling around.

Pound together any mix of dry herbs/spices you fancy or have in the cupboard to make a rub, the recipe I have uses;
1/2tsp white pepper corns
1/2tsp salt crystals
1/2tsp sage
1/2tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary

For the sitter sop; (Great American expression) :P
1x440ml can of beer, drink about a 3rd of it
4tbl white wine vinegar
1/4 lemon
1tsp black peppercorns
1/2tsp dry sage

Put the rub in a ziplock bag, add the chicken and shake so as the bird is well dusted. Refrigerate overnight.

Make sure the chicken is removed from the refrigerator and allowed to come to RT. remove any trussing from the bird, cut off the parsons nose and trim the skin from the cavity at the leg end. Pierce a few more holes in the top of the can with a sharp implement, add the sop ingredients, squeezing the lemon and push the peel in.

Give the bird a light rub with some oil. Slide the leg end cavity on to the can and position the legs to support the bird in the roasting tin.

Use your usual temp for cooking chicken, I blast for about 15mins at 220C then 180C for 45-60min (fan oven temps) with a 1-1.5Kg bird, basting now and then, rest for 20min covered in foil.

I'm cooking this tomorrow, (went to Bath Christmas market today, couple of pints of Butcombe for the lads, an afternoon of people photography while my wife and friends shopped, finishing with an Italian meal) so may have some amusing pics. I have done this before and it was extremely tasty and very moist, I won't be making gravy with the remaining contents of the can though, they were foul and went down the drain, I will put a few garlic clove and maybe some shallots and a sprig or two of fresh herbs in the tin and deglaze that.

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:16 pm

i gave a similar recipie to a jamiacan friend of mine at work,
i said you sit the chicken on the beer can and she said "smoked or unsmoked ?" :lol:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:08 pm

i said you sit the chicken on the beer can and she said "smoked or unsmoked ?"
:lol:

Superior quality American beer :P

Ready for the oven. I used Bramling cross in place of the sage.

In the words of Lou Reed; 'Stick a fork in it's arse turn it over it's done'

I know it easy to dismiss this method of cooking chicken but it really is tasty and very moist and succulent and it's fun, the gravy was brill this time, deglazed with the veg water.

btw Threw the 1/3 beer down the drain, can't force myself to drink lager let alone yankee stuff.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:29 am

Gr8 photo's scooby 8)

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:29 pm

it does look a bit like a scene from wire in the blood , when they find the victim. could be a new story there, vicitms have cans of lager shoved uptheri arse then are roasted . nasty :?