My White Shield Baps

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
adm

Re: My White Shield Baps

Post by adm » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:11 pm

That's not a bad idea Mike - although I'd go for a Weber kettle grill for this one for the higher temps...

That and a wallpaper steamer with a bit of 15mm copper pipe attached to the end and poked through one of the bottom vents?

J_P

Post by J_P » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm going to shamelessly jump on the band wagon too

Hot bap action

A close up.

I have some hopback yeast on the go, I'm going to try cooking with it (after brewing with it of course 8))

adm

Post by adm » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Very nice....but you forgot the butter, bacon and HP sauce.

On a side note, my wife won't have butter on a bacon bap. I think there is something slightly sinister about this myself......she's from Wigan.

J_P

Post by J_P » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:58 pm

All these babies needed was a liberal dose of butter and a pint to wash them down with!

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:55 pm

If you make some cuts to the top of your bread/loaves you will get a very crunchy top.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

Cheshire-cheese

Post by Cheshire-cheese » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:40 pm

I still maintain that steam in the the oven allows a more risen, lighter loaf and that the controll of the steam - allowing it to vent to give dryer conditions at the end of baking when the crust forms - allows control over the crustiness of the loaf.
I've experimented with a few glazes and treatments to brush on the dough before going in the oven which yeileded a good crust, but the results were too crusty for my young children. Can't remember which was the crustiest :-k one was salt water, one was egg wash, and one was sugar in milk.

Northern Brewer

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:21 pm

adm wrote: On a side note, my wife won't have butter on a bacon bap. I think there is something slightly sinister about this myself......she's from Wigan.
It's illegal to have butter on a bacon butty north of Birmingham :)

FlourPower
Hollow Legs

Post by FlourPower » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 am

I'd suggest an egg wash for crusts. Steam injected crusts really don't do it for me. Although at home I generally don't have egg to hand so use milk. Then again I don't like crusty rolls as the crust gets between my teeth if not glues it's self to my teeth.
Drinking: Turbo Cider, Black Rain Stout, Jotun Killer Double Stout, Apple Wine, AG#1 F.A.G,
Fermenting: Bramble Wine
Conditioning: Blueberry Jam Mead, Gales Mead, HLM EPIC FORCE Methegln, Tropical Juice TC on an orange mead slurry, AG#2 S.L.A.G.
Waiting for Space: Muntons Conn: Bock