Dehydrating with The_blue - Easy beef Jerky

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
The_blue

Dehydrating with The_blue - Easy beef Jerky

Post by The_blue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 pm

As requested in the cheese making thread:-

OK, What we are aiming for is a spiced and tasty home made jerky. This is a very simple method and gives quick results.

What is jerky?
Jerky is meat that has been cut into strips trimmed of fat, marinated in a spicy, salty or sweet liquid and then dried with low heat ( or occasionally salted and sun-dried. The result is a salty, semi-sweet snack that can be stored without refrigeration. Jerky is an early application of food preservation techniques.

This is the actual finished product from this recipie!

The recipe

For a 2lbs joint. Adjust for different sizes.

2lbs of lean beef rosting joint.

1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 cup Soy Sauce

1 Teaspoon Black Pepper (coarse is best)

3 cloves or 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (not a salt mix!)

1 small onion or 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder (not a salt mix!)

1/2 Tablespoon table Salt

Optional but recommended
1 or 2 fresh birdseye chilies or 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon chili powder

Method Part A

1. Start with a chunk of beef approx 1-2lbs.

This cut is called 'salmon cut'. This is basically the muscle off the silverside and produces a nice whole muscle joint.

2. Next trim off any fat. This doesn't preserve as well and can go reasty. Don't be scared about removing a little meat with the fat.

3. Now cut the joint in half. This is done length ways with the grain so each half looks like a 'D'. Start slicing at the thicker end as it will make the last slices easier to handle.
Make each slice about 5-6mm thick.

4. Next measure out the marinade using the amounts above. If you have onion powder this is easier but is you don't then you need to somehow liquidate the onion, garlic and chili.
I've used a blender but with patience a mortar and pestle can be used.

5. Mix your meat slices in the marinade and cover in the fridge.

6. Leave 8-24 hours.
Last edited by The_blue on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_blue

Re: Dehydrating with The_blue - Easy beef Jerky

Post by The_blue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Part 2 Done in real time.

These events take place between 9.30 and om nom nom..

7.After a overnight marinating (and turning in the bowl) the beef is ready.

8.Drain off any spare marinate and allow to drip. At this point you can blot dry with paper towels to speed up the drying process is required.

9. Heat the oven to 60-65c no higher or the meat will cook. I'm using a fan assisted oven but folks with gas etc will need to think about hot spots and not get the meat to close to the flame. The meat will drip a little so either line the bottom in foil or place a tray in to catch it.

10. Spread the slices on either a grill pan rack, a bakery cooling rack or directly onto the oven shelf

11. Drop the meat in! Open the oven door from time to time to allow moisture to escape. If you're like me, peeking in at the product will provide plenty of opportunity for that!

12. Since the meat was cut thin it should dry anywhere from 2-4 hours. Larger pieces may take 6-8 hours. Drying times vary due to oven differences and size of meat strips.

I will add pictures in a while to show the difference between not quite and ready. ;)

1 hour of drying
The grill tray has collected about 1/2 a pint of condensation which Ive drained off. I've also drained the puddles of the meat.

2 hours of drying
The meat on the grill pan isn't drying as quick due to the air circulation. I've taken the rack out and put it on a shelf with the tray 2 stops down. No more drip was removed and the oven air was less humid. The meat is starting to go stiff ;). I've now wedged the oven door open a small crack.

3 Hours of drying

The difference is now starting to show.
The slices are going matte and are firm to the touch. Another 1/2 - 1 hour and we are done!

4 hours drying
The last couple of bits are done!!

Is it ready yet??? how to know when its done..

This bit isn't quite ready. When bent over it just starts to split.

This thinner bit is done. As you can see it cracks when bent showing the connective tissues. Depending on how you like your meat it can be dried further till almost rock hard. I like mine to be similar to a thick, cheap leather belt in stiffness, if that makes any sense!

Once cooled store you jerky in an air tight bag/box. It will last longer in the fridge but for short term (2 weeks) should be ok in ambient temps.

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Nice! And much easier than messing about with a cardboard box and a pc fan!

The_blue

Post by The_blue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 pm

lol i've seen that one. It's normaly for biltong

Light bulb for heat and fan to move the air.

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Sun May 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Am gonna try that.I luv beef jerky but av only had the small bags from the supermarkets and there bloody expensive!!!!!
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sun May 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Looks Ace, what's the difference between cooking jerky and biltong as I prefer the latter?
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com