SEYMOUR BITTER-BATTERED CALIFORNIA-STYLE FISH TACOS

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

SEYMOUR BITTER-BATTERED CALIFORNIA-STYLE FISH TACOS

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Seymour Bitter-Battered California-Style Fish Tacos

This meal is essentially three things: beer-battered whitefish, Monterrey California-style white sauce, and cabbage slaw, spooned into warm tortillas. It requires a bit of preparation but is delicious and popular, well-worth the effort. I typically use tilapia, sole, or even cod, but those of you near the sea surely have better, fresher options than I...

Bitter-battered fish:
1 lb/.5 kg, mild, flaky whitefish of your choice.
1 cup, flour, whole-wheat preferred
2 Tbsp, corn starch
1 tsp, baking powder
½ tsp, salt, Kosher or sea-salt preferred
1 egg
1 cup, homebrew Bitter or Brown Ale
Oil, as needed, depending on your method of frying.

In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt. Separately, blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the dry mix. Don't worry about a few lumps. Pour oil into frying pan or deep-fryer, heat to approximately 375°F/191°C (though I've never used a thermometer, I just wing-it.) Cut fish into small chunks or strips, dust with flour, dip into the batter, coating all sides. Pan-fry or deep-fry the pieces until cooked through and crispy golden brown. Set aside to dry on paper towels.

White Sauce:
½ cup, plain yogurt
½ cup, mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lime
¼ cup, roasted red pepper, dinely diced, sometimes available pickled in a jar.
1 Tablespoon, diced onion, fresh or dried is fine
1 teaspoon, hot sauce, increase to desired spice level
A couple good shakes each, to taste: dill, ground cumin, dried oregano, garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, chill until ready to serve.

Cabbage slaw:
Simple as that, just chop-up some cabbage and serve it dry in a bowl. Set it to chill in the fridge next to your sauce.

You'll also want a stack of fresh, pliable, warmed corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are almost as good. Optional but unnecessary add-ons include some shredded cheddar, lime wedges, pico de gallo, malt vinegar. An ice bucket filled with more homebrew bitter is not optional. If your beer was hopped with American hops, serve some grapefruit wheels as well to accenuate. Ideally, gather round a small table and dig-in, reaching over each other, preparing one taco at a time in your hand. Soooo delicious.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: SEYMOUR BITTER-BATTERED CALIFORNIA-STYLE FISH TACOS

Post by seymour » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:51 pm

It wasn't fish tacos this time, but last night I used the same beer-batter recipe with bigger filets for a classic fish fry. Mmmmm.

Ben711200

Re: SEYMOUR BITTER-BATTERED CALIFORNIA-STYLE FISH TACOS

Post by Ben711200 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:01 pm

That sounds delicious. I don't think I've ever seen fish tacos offered up in the UK (I am in the country, mind) so I imagine this could be slightly lost in translation, despite the various components all being very familar.

I'll make a point of making it soon and reporting back :)