Best home pizza ever.

Fed up with just drinking your homebrew? Post here if you want to talk about using beer in food recipes! Or if you just want to share something about food.
EoinMag

Best home pizza ever.

Post by EoinMag » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 pm

I recently picked up a great tip for making home pizza from those two pizza guys on food network.

The tip is to cook your pizza on a dry pan before finishing it under the grill.

Basically by cooking on a dry pan you get a great crispy crust with some small burned parts just like with a stone oven pizza, then flash it under the grill to melt the toppings.

I have a pizza stone, but this is my new method, I am not bothering with the pizza stone anymore as it is not as good as this method by a long shot.

My recipe for base is
600g strong flour
1TSP salt
2tbsp Olive oil
25g fresh yeast
2TBSP sugar
100ml boiling water, to melt sugar,
200ml cold water to cool the previous 100ml hot.

Mix the sugar water and yeast, don't put yeast in the very hot water. Let that to stand for a few minutes then add the olive oil then add to the flour and salt and mix. I use the dough hook to knead for ten minutes on my mixer, then let proof once and then make your bases.

Put that straight onto a hot pan and then build your pizza on this whilst the base is browning, then under the grill. Keep an eye on the base not going too far.

I also got a tip on sauce from them, simply open a tin of tomatoes (they prefer san marzano) then crush them by hand, leave a little few bits and pieces and then season it, that is all.

BEST PIZZA EVER, seriously, try it.

Geezah

Re: Best home pizza ever.

Post by Geezah » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 pm

That's an awful lot of yeast for a pizza dough.

I make naan breads often and never use yeast, just a tsp of baking powder. The trick is to let the dough rise, punch it down, let it rise again then roll before use.
I tend to allow a dough to settle overnight in the fridge before use and it becomes very light and fluffy.

I use a dry tawa to cook the base of my naan's (30 seconds) then flip it 180 to invert the dough over the gas hob to toast the bubbles ( same tecnique as using your grill for the melt)

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Geezah wrote:That's an awful lot of yeast for a pizza dough.

I make naan breads often and never use yeast, just a tsp of baking powder. The trick is to let the dough rise, punch it down, let it rise again then roll before use.
I tend to allow a dough to settle overnight in the fridge before use and it becomes very light and fluffy.

I use a dry tawa to cook the base of my naan's (30 seconds) then flip it 180 to invert the dough over the gas hob to toast the bubbles ( same tecnique as using your grill for the melt)

Fresh yeast....depends how fast you want to use it, if I have more time then I use less, but I find it works at this amount for my pizza and my breads.

DeGarre
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DeGarre » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:07 pm

I use just a tiny amount, about a 1/4 tsp, of yeast and let it proof 24 hours, no-knead recipe, gives a very good stretch to the dough.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:12 pm

EoinMag wrote:I also got a tip on sauce from them, simply open a tin of tomatoes (they prefer san marzano) then crush them by hand, leave a little few bits and pieces and then season it, that is all.
Try reducing that sauce in a frying pan - great deep colour and even less water to dampen the base.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 am

vacant wrote:
EoinMag wrote:I also got a tip on sauce from them, simply open a tin of tomatoes (they prefer san marzano) then crush them by hand, leave a little few bits and pieces and then season it, that is all.
Try reducing that sauce in a frying pan - great deep colour and even less water to dampen the base.

The present sauce is so fast and the whole process apart from the proofing that I am loathe to add any more steps and it's working out fine at the moment. The base won't get damp with this method, it's the only time I've had a home pizza with a crunchy base.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Heres my pizza stone.
Pizza in under a minute.Image
Last edited by awalker on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:29 pm

awalker wrote:Heres my pizza stone.
Pizza in under a minute.Image
That'll work better Adam.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Really nice oven by the way. I hope to build something similar soon.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks eoinmag, phone letting me down.

You wont regret it. Do pizzas, then stick in next days dinner.

Really good for slow cooking.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer