HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Hello mates,

Today I tried to brew a batch of belgian witbier in my home with whole grain, here is my recipe:

white wheat 2.5kg
pale ale malt 2.5

27L of water to boil for 1 hour and 10 min to make there is 23L wort left in the bucket, and then chill it.

but when I done the chilling process, I found that the wort was daker than i thought, I mean, its name is witbier, right ? doest it mean that the wort shoule be a bit pale ? or in any light colour ?
or the colour will change during the fermentation and the final colour of the product will will be lither than the wort ?

I hope some one can offer me any clue on this...

cheers~

guypettigrew
Under the Table
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Christchurch, Dorset

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Hi MR. Can you please tell us what it was you boiled for the 70 minutes?

Guy

MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:39 am

[quote=guypettigrew post_id=851741 time=1593181561 user_id=5521]
Hi MR. Can you please tell us what it was you boiled for the 70 minutes?

Guy
[/quote]

Sorry GUY,

I just boiled the wort after the glycation.

Now the fermentation goes quite well~ so happy ~

Thank you for your reply !!!
Have a lovely day !

nickjdavis
Sober
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by nickjdavis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 am

The colour you need to be concerned about is the colour when the beer is in the glass.

Wort will always look darker because there is less light passing through it....either because of the volume of wort (makes it harder for light to pass through) or because of the walls of the fermentor (steel or plastic) blocking the light.

User avatar
Normski
Under the Table
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Annfield Plain

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by Normski » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Assuming the white wheat was malted, with 2.5kg of that and 2.5kg of pale malt at 23L, The colour should be around 8 to 9 Ebc, which is pale. Sort of lager or pale ale colour.
If its darker, maybe some of the wort got a bit burnt during the boil.
If you had taken a hydrometer reading using a test jar, you would have seen what the colour would look like, if you are looking at the whole Fermentation vessel, then it will look different, probably look darker.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

[quote=nickjdavis post_id=851769 time=1593336874 user_id=21162]
The colour you need to be concerned about is the colour when the beer is in the glass.

Wort will always look darker because there is less light passing through it....either because of the volume of wort (makes it harder for light to pass through) or because of the walls of the fermentor (steel or plastic) blocking the light.
[/quote]

Thank you so much for the answer~
I think this might be a reason, my fermentor is a transparent one but a bit blue, while the wort is lil pale yellow, so the combination will make it looks little daker, maybe ~
Thank you ~

MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm

[quote=Normski post_id=851776 time=1593349146 user_id=3445]
Assuming the white wheat was malted, with 2.5kg of that and 2.5kg of pale malt at 23L, The colour should be around 8 to 9 Ebc, which is pale. Sort of lager or pale ale colour.
If its darker, maybe some of the wort got a bit burnt during the boil.
If you had taken a hydrometer reading using a test jar, you would have seen what the colour would look like, if you are looking at the whole Fermentation vessel, then it will look different, probably look darker.
Norm
[/quote]

Wow, mate, this is quite thorough, and I think this can be another reason, and quite reasonable~
Because i can recall that it was like there were several horses in my wort when I boiled it, the heat was quite strong~ and given there is a lot of sugar in it, that could be a bit burnt...

Luckily, now the colour is much lighter, i think the final beer will be good.
Thank you for your reply and your time, your knowledge~ ~

Cheers~

richard080561
Piss Artist
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 am

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by richard080561 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:43 pm

MoonshinerRick wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Wow, mate, this is quite thorough, and I think this can be another reason, and quite reasonable~
Because i can recall that it was like there were several horses in my wort when I boiled it, the heat was quite strong~ and given there is a lot of sugar in it, that could be a bit burnt...

Luckily, now the colour is much lighter, i think the final beer will be good.
Thank you for your reply and your time, your knowledge~ ~

Cheers~
Hi Rick, I ma guessing that English isn't your first language, but I am struggling to work out what several horses in your wort could mean
Richard M
Cardiff

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by IPA » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 am

MoonshinerRick wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:13 pm
Hello mates,

Today I tried to brew a batch of belgian witbier in my home with whole grain, here is my recipe:

white wheat 2.5kg
pale ale malt 2.5

27L of water to boil for 1 hour and 10 min to make there is 23L wort left in the bucket, and then chill it.

but when I done the chilling process, I found that the wort was daker than i thought, I mean, its name is witbier, right ? doest it mean that the wort shoule be a bit pale ? or in any light colour ?
or the colour will change during the fermentation and the final colour of the product will will be lither than the wort ?

I hope some one can offer me any clue on this...

cheers~
No crushing? No mashing?
Lager malt is more appropriate for a Wit beer and it is usual to add bitter orange peel and coriander seeds
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Galena
Steady Drinker
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 7:42 pm
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by Galena » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:15 am

From what you say it sounds to me like you boiled the grain rather than mashed it?

MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:28 pm

[quote=Galena post_id=851793 time=1593418532 user_id=30202]
From what you say it sounds to me like you boiled the grain rather than mashed it?
[/quote]

sorry, I just didn't write the entire process.

I am sure there is no step skipped, and i think the reason would be that wort was burnt during the boiling process.

Anyway, thank s for your reply !!!

MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm

IPA wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:20 am
MoonshinerRick wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:13 pm
Hello mates,

Today I tried to brew a batch of belgian witbier in my home with whole grain, here is my recipe:

white wheat 2.5kg
pale ale malt 2.5

27L of water to boil for 1 hour and 10 min to make there is 23L wort left in the bucket, and then chill it.

but when I done the chilling process, I found that the wort was daker than i thought, I mean, its name is witbier, right ? doest it mean that the wort shoule be a bit pale ? or in any light colour ?
or the colour will change during the fermentation and the final colour of the product will will be lither than the wort ?

I hope some one can offer me any clue on this...

cheers~
No crushing? No mashing?
Lager malt is more appropriate for a Wit beer and it is usual to add bitter orange peel and coriander seeds
of course there is no step skipped ~ ssory for being too simplified ~ lol.

london_lhr
Steady Drinker
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by london_lhr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm

.....that it was like there were several horses in my wort when I boiled it,.....
Hi Rick, I ma guessing that English isn't your first language, but I am struggling to work out what several horses in your wort could mean
probably a vigorous boil....? :D
The Dengie

guypettigrew
Under the Table
Posts: 1923
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Christchurch, Dorset

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Let's be absolutely clear here, MoonshinerRick.

Did you mix the grains with water at about 66°C for an hour or so (it's called mashing), then run off the liquid, rinsing it through with hot water, then boil the liquid which came off the grains?

Or did you boil the grains and do nothing else to them?

A vigorous boil of the liquid after mashing wouldn't make it go darker.

Guy

MoonshinerRick
Sober
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: HELP---Wort daker than I thought

Post by MoonshinerRick » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:43 pm
MoonshinerRick wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Wow, mate, this is quite thorough, and I think this can be another reason, and quite reasonable~
Because i can recall that it was like there were several horses in my wort when I boiled it, the heat was quite strong~ and given there is a lot of sugar in it, that could be a bit burnt...

Luckily, now the colour is much lighter, i think the final beer will be good.
Thank you for your reply and your time, your knowledge~ ~

Cheers~
Hi Rick, I ma guessing that English isn't your first language, but I am struggling to work out what several horses in your wort could mean
lol, yes, you are right ~ i just tried my best to describe it ...lol, sorry for that ~

Post Reply