Why the 90 minute mash and boil times?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Why the 90 minute mash and boil times?

Post by flytact » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Hello all, I'm dutifully reading all of the messages here as I have time and was wondering about the recommended boil and mash times. It appears as though most of the times are 90 minutes. I'm in the US and all but the high gravity recipes call for 60 minutes each. Is it an equipment issue? Or have you found that the increased times get you beer that is that much better?

I mash in a 45 liter cooler and boil in a converted 1/2 barrel (US) over a propane flame.

Thanks and I absolutely love this board!
Dave

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:41 pm

I used to go for the 90 minute mash but I find I get exactly the same conversion after a 60 minute mash. I gather that most of the conversion is done in half an hour and the 60/90 is just to make sure.

The 90 minute boil is mainly to ensure proteins are coagulated, which in turn helps with the clarity of the beer. To be honest, I haven't noticed much difference over a 60 minute boil.

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:07 pm

I guess if you have a really vigorus boil it will probably not affect it that much.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:48 pm

mysterio wrote:I used to go for the 90 minute mash but I find I get exactly the same conversion after a 60 minute mash. I gather that most of the conversion is done in half an hour and the 60/90 is just to make sure.

The 90 minute boil is mainly to ensure proteins are coagulated, which in turn helps with the clarity of the beer. To be honest, I haven't noticed much difference over a 60 minute boil.
You may get the same conversion, (if you mean the same amount of starch converted to sugar), but as DaaB's said not as much of the dextrins have been broken down to maltose.

You could get the same conversion at 45min but the resultant beer would be sweet and sickly.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 am

Surely mashing for 60 minutes and using a lower mash temperature would get you much the same results as the lower temperature would favour the beta amylase that increases fermentability?

FWIW I mash and boil for 60 minutes.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:44 pm

You could get the same conversion at 45min but the resultant beer would be sweet and sickly.
Not in my experience but a lot of homebrewing advice is subjective. Though surely a sweet, sickly beer would be the result of under-hopping? Full bodied, dextrinous beers don't taste particularly sweet to me but I suppose it depends on your definition.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Not in my experience but a lot of homebrewing advice is subjective.
You'er right there Mysterio, you can play ping-pong with all the advice written on the subject but in the end if the beer you produce is to your taste then you have got it right. I prefer long mashes 6hr+ and have been told I shouldn't do that because..............and........and........ but it produces the dry bitter I favour.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:27 pm

DaaB wrote:Well just to buck the trend I just did a 3.5hr mash (using my false bottom for the first time). I set it up in the electrim and went for a walk with the dog.
I'll let you know what happens.
Hey, I don't feel such a leper now, but why such a short mash time DaaBs? :lol:
At least it gives you time to partake in such pleasurable pastimes like walking the dog, hope it didn't rain and the mutt didn't roll in fox or badger sh*t. :evil:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I live in horse training country and they only feed top quality food to those expensive thoroughbreds, so I know he's getting top quality nutriment.

There are many advantages to extended mash times :wink:

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:35 pm

DaaB wrote:he does occasionaly like the odd horse turd hors d'oeuvres :roll:
Ours does that whenever she gets chance too. Apparently there are valuable nutrients in it. Yuch :!:

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Good to know that it all boils down to plain old preference.
An interesting turn this thread has taken, one that I can also contribute to. My mother-in-law is training her bloodhound search and rescue dog and I had the opportunity to be this weekends "bait". While walking my way to my hiding spot I decided to see how the dog would do if I searched out the horse patties. Well, she found me, but not after having a couple snacks. Yuck!

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:31 pm

I plan on brewing Friday morning (weather pending)

Since I am batch Sparging, I was planning on doing a mash schedule of 90 minutes followed by 30 minutes.

I'm not too clued up on the differences that length or temp of mash have

I know that the temp effects sweetness/dryness but I don't know which way :)

Anyway, this isn't something I am too bothered about. I just enjoy the process of making the beer and then the drinking of the beer.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:43 pm

My understanding is that if you're batch sparging then the second 'batch' is just to extract the grain. It's not really meant as a conversion step so as soon as the run off is clear you can collect it.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Might just do a 2 hour initial mash then....

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:41 pm

I've always used the acronym MALT
More
Alcohol
Less
Temperature