Planning AG 2:-

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Deebee
Even further under the Table

Planning AG 2:-

Post by Deebee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 am

Hi.

I am planning to do Ag number 2 but am having some real problems as to what i should go for.

the first was a classic pale ale that despite a few problems turned out to be exemptionally drinkable..... :=P

So i am noe debating between the following

Tanglefoot clone:- from this site which is a single grain recipe and looks easy ( although i'd like to darken it with some other malt slightly)

Gob hoblin

or a nice IPA style beer

I am leaning towards the easiest which is the tangle foot but is it wise to stay with the easy ones until i get the hang, or should i baptize myself in something a little more complicated?

Dave
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

Eric

Re: Planning AG 2:-

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi Dave,

That's the main problem with AG brewing, what to do next, the choice is so great. So only you can decide. What do you like? For what is your water most suitable? What ingredients have you and what can you get at what cost? Beers have subtle flavours and small changes in recipe can sometimes have an impact on the character of that brew. What is important to me is to measure and record all ingredients, mash pH, temperatures and durations that I might gradually improve my brewing.

For a recipe my only advice would be to not use too many malts/adjuncts initially as if something turns out wrong (or right) you won't readily identify the cause. Some of the simplest of beers are exceedingly tasty.

Good luck,
Eric.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:49 pm

for me, then difference is, what ingredients have I got/can I get my hands on.

the difference in weighing up 1, 2 or 3 types of grains or hops is not an issue, and part of the fun!

I prefer to alternate a light beer, then a dark one.

eg. stout, then a golden/pale beer etc.

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:51 am

I've done 3 ag's so far and never stuck to a recipe, just used one as a base, chaging the malts or hops to my whim and fancy - my first was a version of Bath ALes Gem, my second a cross between st peters extra and summer lightning, my third completely from scratch.

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:13 am

The decision has now been made.

I will be attentpting the Tanglefoot clone, brew length will be 23-25 liters.

pale malt
Challenger and Northdown with 770 grams sugar in the boil. Boil time was 90 mins if i remember correctly. Brew day tomorrow evening so i'll see if i can get some pics.

thanks
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)