Fermentation disaster leads to brewing rampage

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Fermentation disaster leads to brewing rampage

Post by flytact » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Well it finally happened. I had a 5 gallon carboy break in the basement. Good news was that it was near the sump pump and cleanup only took about 1/2 hour. Bad news is that my wife came down and said "Wow, it smells great down here."

As retribution I am brewing a 10 gallon batch of 6.5% all Centennial (the lost batch) this weekend, and over the following two weekends I've got my second TTL and a Deuchar's to brew. Very excited as I have finally come upon Golden Promise here in the US.

The Deuchar's will most likely go on the hand pump while the others from ordinary corny setups.

Orfy

Post by Orfy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Ouch.....how did hte breakage happen.

Mourning your beer loss!!!!! :oops:
Last edited by Orfy on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Ouch! Sorry to hear it. It hurts badly enough to lose a pint or two in accidental spillage, never mind the whole lot. As I'm lugging full fermenters and boilers about I often wonder how I'd feel if I tripped or a handle broke resulting in a total write off. You know...and I don't want to know. :(

Still, you've taken the best medicine.....getting another brew on!

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:38 pm

harsh - bad luck man. What's Centennial like?

Matt

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:58 pm

The break was just one of those "perfect" situations. No rough handling, I had leaned the carboy over to give it a quick swirl and while letting it down it hit the right spot and ...

As for centennial its a less citrusy and more floral version of cascade. There is a beer here from Bells Brewery called "two Hearted Ale" that is one of my top 5 favorites and this is a loose clone:

11.5 lbs. Rahr 2-Row
1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
0.75 oz. Centennial (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min) I use FWH method
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)
1 oz. Centennial Hops (dry hop)
SafAle-04