stopped at 1020

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
micmacmoc

stopped at 1020

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:00 pm

I made my first AG and Extract recipes last month. They both have stopped fermenting at 1020. I have tried stirring and warming them slightly. The all grain I barrelled this morning to see if the extra oxygenation would assist. I also added 80g of sugar. I tasted it too, its not bad! One of many mistakes was to leave the lid on whilst boiling, will this have a bad effect on the ale? I'm tempted to bottle the extract brew as it seems to be stable at 1020. To be honest I want the fermenters so that I can do some more brewing asap. Would 1020 be a problem with 'grenade' bottles likely?
Any other advice?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: stopped at 1020

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:39 pm

The result would be better without the lid but that doesn't mean the end product will not be enjoyable. The degree would depend how tight the lid was.
You should have a vigorous boil at the start and expect to lose by evaporation maybe of the order of 10%.
It is likely that 1020 is too high but that would depend on many other factors you don't list.
What were the OG, recipe, yeast, mash and fermentation periods and temperatures?
If you had an OG of 1075 with a thick mash at high temperature then all should be well.
In summer it is unlikely you will need to warm your brew, it's usually a case of trying to keep it cool.
Even if your bottles can sustain the pressure you could find the beer bursting from the bottle when opened.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:19 pm

I don't have the exact recipe here at the mo. I know it began a 1050 and was along these lines:
23Lt
maris otter 4800
crystal........200
fuggles 50 (90)
goldings 25 (90)
styrians 25 (10)
irish moss (10)
Yeast: muntons gold ale yeast rehydrated and pitched at propbably a little high (it was 4am and i really needed my bed!) 28C
OG 1050
It was something like the above..thanks!

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I think those Munton's packs are only about 6g in which case your problems might be down to under-pitching.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:04 pm

1020 does seem a bit high. With these temperatures I'd expect 1015 in 3 to 4 days. 6 gm yeast is low and could be the problem.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 pm

'Underpitching' does this mean i should add another sachet? I assumed that if your brew was Ok a small amount of yeast would grow to whatever mass was possible. Theres alot to learn here is'nt there! Right, I will now spend some time 'researching' yeast. well it beats listening to the aussies destroy us in the ashes....or the dreadful dullness which my beloved boro played out last night. Yes, beer is the answer.
Thanks mates.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:42 pm

Dried yeast apparently doesn't divide and grow like liquid yeast does so you need to make sure you pitch sufficient in the first place. Yeasts such as S-04, Nottingham and Windsor come in 11 or 12g packets. I think that's significant. You probably really needed two packets of Munton's yeast.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:31 pm

micmacmoc wrote:The all grain I barrelled this morning to see if the extra oxygenation would assist.
Too late now and hopefully you'll be ok but this is something you really musn't do with fermented wort. Air in unfermented wort is very desirable but once fermented you should avoid oxygenating it at all costs as it'll likely oxidise the beer.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 am

Oh dear, live and learn. i will order some 'big boy' yeasts today and plan the next beer (other than drinking thats the best bit anyway). I put a spare sachet of Muntons Gold yeast into the extract brew which is still at 1020 in the hope of some action. I barelled the all grain and will give it a month before either drinking or throwing. To cheer myslf up its off to buy those ebay heater thermostats (see the bargains section), a new fermenter and some yeasts to play with. Its time to do some proper reading up aswell. The next lot is going to be Imperious! Any pig easy brews for us beginners hat you all recommend? I have the Graham Wheeler book (aftr the event!). Its probably not about how easy it is just the unforseen pitfalls. Ah well, it beats working.
Thanks all
moc
:pink:

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi Moc,

Don't think that you're doing anything different to most homebrewers. You wrote "live and learn" and that is spot on my friend.

There are no "pig easy" brews, it all depends what happens on the day but it will get easier as you gain knowledge and confidence. What is likely is the reward consuming the product will many times outweigh your efforts AND THEN you could soon be brewing for the satisfaction of MAKING (rather than drinking) good beer.

I'd keep an eye on the AG one in the barrel. Don't wait 4 weeks, learn for 4 weeks. After a few of days try a snifter and continue monitoring. Most beer is drank too young but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be. There's a lot to learned about beer using taste, smell and sight, perhaps especially when it mightn't be fully fermented.

Keep up the good work,
Eric.

micmacmoc

Post by micmacmoc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:53 am

I tried my 'Landlord' this morning and it was sour, vinegar tasting. I could however taste that this would have been better than any of my kits (I've been served worse in pubs!). So I'm not downhearted dispite having to bin it. I have some yeast on the way, everything is getting a clean up today, I hope to get the next brew going by the weekend. The extract brew tastes fine but still at 1020. When I barrelled the TTaylor i also bottled a few so I may still have something, and the extract needs bottling so busy making beer again. Thanks for all your help, I'd still be making average tasting kits and be ignorant to the possibilities of AG without your help. Ta!
moc
pip pip!