Quick sparge question....

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
quiff

Quick sparge question....

Post by quiff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm

When sparging, is it best not to aerate the wort as it's running off or can I just let it run into the boiler from a height?
What is the best way to measure out the mash liquer volume without jugging it in and losing temp? Can I simply make a mark on the inside of the mash tun with something and fill up to it?
Just trying to get the technique straight in my head before I give it a whirl. Cheers.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Quick sparge question....

Post by WishboneBrewery » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:48 pm

I like Jugs, I'm a Jugger at present :)
If you are Jugging, just raise the temperature of your Mash liquor to account for the temperature lost, I add my water too hot, let it heat the mash tun and then cool it down incrementally with cold water to strike heat.

If you Graduated your HLT you could do a tiny bit of maths and add just the right amount to the tun.
:)

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Quick sparge question....

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Any air dissolved in the wort will simply be released as the wort approaches boiling point. Your only real concern with wort transfer are the consequences of heat and time loss. You don't need any air at this stage but you do after the boil and before pitching the yeast.
Marks on the outside of my boiler let me know how much liquor I've transferred and my sparge water is at 80C to allow for my heat losses. To be honest I just make sure there's plenty of sparge water on hand and do a 2 or 3 batch sparge to get the final volume. I've never yet managed to wash out all the sugars. I'll change methods when I do.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.