Recommend a Lager-like ale?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
EccentricDyslexic

Recommend a Lager-like ale?

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I dont want to be lagering or anything like that, but do have some (sad) mates that like a cold lager, can anyone recommend an ale to brew that uses typical lager type hops that i can serve cold like lager? A recipe would be good too :D

Ta chaps

steve

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: Recommend a Lager-like ale?

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Just save your pee and chill it. They'll never know the difference ;)

Or try anything which doesn't have any special grains in it. Summer Ale type recipes may be the best ones to go for.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

nobby

Post by nobby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Use 100% extra pale Malt, like lower colour Maris Otter. With a Yeast like Nottingham and Lager Hops. Should make something they like

sam c

Post by sam c » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

try this viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26088&p=290713&hil ... le#p290713

its a cream ale i made a while ago. this is probably the closest ale you will get to a lager as far as i am aware. maybe cut the flaked maize down to 500 g. the rice was in there to see what it would add. in the end im not sure what it added to be honest but it was a nice smooth beer.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:47 am

Dont often think about lager, but i have come up with some thoughts on it if youd all care to comment-

Am i right in saying that because lager is served cold this is why people cant taste much in it?

Am i also right in saying because of the cold and its dulling effect on the taste buds one needs to add more bittering hops?

Am i also right in saying it is pointless adding hops for flavor, and your better dry hoping for aroma? Id have thought the cold wont affect the other important factor in tatse-smell, so that makes aroma hops more important?

Just some thoughts :roll:

Steve

booldawg

Post by booldawg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 am

I've done something similar in the past which turned out really well. Cant remember the exact recipe but it came out at around the 5% mark.

Was about 95% Lager Malt, 5% Flaked Maize. Hallertau to about 20 IBUs and US-05 yeast. I guess you can play about with the recipe, maybe lose the Flaked Maize if its not to your taste. Possibly use another noble hop such as Saaz. The only item I'd definately not move on is the US-05 yeast.

davidmpye

Post by davidmpye » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I think I will probably end up going with the cream ale idea as it rather appeals to me!

I am fortunate to have a pair of cornies (or will shortly, theyre in the post) so will stick them in a mate's garage (I live in a flat!) for a few weeks or so to let them rest for a bit!

Cheers,

David

Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Here you go. 8)

Schiehallion
og 1048 ABV 4.8% 12.5 units of colour 5 gallon batch.

LAGER MALT 4570 gms
WHEAT MALT 240 gms

HOPS BOIL TIME 90 minutes 37.5 EBU

CHALLENGER27 gms
HERSBRUCKER 29 gms

Add 20 gms HERSBRUCKER last 15 minutes.

This beer is brewed with a lager yeast.

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Not quite what you asked for, but if your'e looking for clones - Last summer I successfully weanred a 100% lager-drinking mate off it with a couple of sessions on the following:

TT Landlord (bottled)
Summer Lightning
SA Gold
Schiehallion

Now, not even 12 months down the line, he's not only drinking all types of real ale and loving it he's also looking into homebrewing. plenty of refreshing, golden ales out there to try. That schiehallion clone would be a great place to start.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Tar for that chaps!

Never heard of Schiehallion! Can you point me toward a recipe?

ta

steve

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

The recipe is there in Billy Hunt's post!

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Hehe! theres me paying attention again! lol :oops:

steve :lol:

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:41 pm

I've got a pseudo Schiehallion clone conditioning at the moment. Its too early to tell how its gonna turn out though!

dopejack

Post by dopejack » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Leigh, big admiration man! Turning a pop drinker! You'd struggle less with a lesbian!!! Right, I've got a few mates that I'm gonna try turning this summer. To ale, not heterosexuality. Isn't Schiehallion a lager though? Think I'll give it a go anyway for the summer, but I've only done ales before. Is the technique so different? Do I need to mash at a different temp or something? And would it be better in bottles or a corny?
Cheers

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Dopejack - yeah, I know the brewers say Scheihallion is a lager - and I guess it is, but it's definately not marketed towards lager-drinkers.
the point is that there are loads of pale, refreshing ales out there that can be served cold. Lager drinkers just assume beer is beer, and don't appreciate the range that's out there. I once did a barbecue with chilled SA Gold and people lapped it up. So its possible, man!!

I'm not down on lager though -when done right. There's a brewer called Taddington who brew an unpasteurised lager called Moravka that's awesome. malty in the body and with bite, its how lager should be, but its hard to find. I know the Maltings in York get it often. NOt avail in bottles. Look at Pilsner urquell - awesome stuff.

I've never brewed a lager though - although im sure there are plenty on here who have - have a look about. J_P brewed a pretty good sounding shciehallion clone a while back, and there's a recipe in the boave post too. I beleive you have to use a yeast like S23 and ferment cool. Aside from that, I think that's it.