Recommend a Lager-like ale?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
DarloDave

Re: Recommend a Lager-like ale?

Post by DarloDave » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:08 pm

I went to York, and the Maltings with the hope of a few pints of Moravka after hearing good stuff about it, needless to say they didnt have any on!

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Gutted - so hard to find. Just been told that it's on at a place called CASK in London, if you're ever down there.

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Im going there on Thursday as it happens!

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Get on it! Let us know how it turns out if you catch it -

here's the post from Boak & bailey's excellent blog which alerted me to it -

http://boakandbailey.com/2010/02/13/pump-creep/

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Cheers, judging by the sound of that place it will definitely be on the list. You know of any other good places to drink in London?

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:08 pm

thats a major question, my man!!

I can personally reccomend The Harp in Covent Garden and The Market Porter and The Rake in borough market, and the lamb and flag in Covent Garden. Porterhouse in covent garden is worth a look, too. Quality alehouses . those are the ones that stick out from my last visit. obviously there are loads of places -

Check this out - http://pubsandbeer.co.uk/index.php

A great site with tonnes of reviews by real ale drinkers like us - I contribute under 'Leigh'. Search for London and you'll find loads of up to date reviews.

Have fun!

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Excellent work, thanks :D

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes, I can confirm that the Market Porter is a good place to sink a few pints after eating your greasy triple ox burger with cheese (or whatever) from the market.
Last summer I successfully weanred a 100% lager-drinking mate
Nice work! I have done the same with my brother who used to take the piss out of me for drinking cask ales, who now actively seeks out and enjoys sour beers and American IPAs... and another mate who used to be on a staple diet of Carlsberg now only drinks real ales and craves buttery tasting diacetyl bombs :D

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:10 pm

For Moravka, try the Hillary Step, Chorlton/Whalley Range Manchester (it's on Upper Chorlton Road).

For a lager-like ale, also look for Koelsch recipes.

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm

That's a good shout, actually, CJ.

Muscleguy
Tippler

Post by Muscleguy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:56 pm

[quote="Billy Hunt" post_id=327797 time=1265741882]
Here you go. 8)

Schiehallion
og 1048 ABV 4.8% 12.5 units of colour 5 gallon batch.

LAGER MALT 4570 gms
WHEAT MALT 240 gms

HOPS BOIL TIME 90 minutes 37.5 EBU

CHALLENGER27 gms
HERSBRUCKER 29 gms

Add 20 gms HERSBRUCKER last 15 minutes.

This beer is brewed with a lager yeast.
[/quote]

Harvieston say they use Challenger, H.Herbrucker, Celeia, Bobek with 'Heavy late hopping' likely with the last 3 I would think. All are currently available from UK suppliers. I've checked.

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi,
This is a 10 year old thread. Most of the original posters are showing as "anonymous" which means they are no longer active unless they have rejoined under a different name.
However, I am quite partial to a pint of Schiehallion occasionally. Don't think many of my lager drinking buddies would like it even though it is technically a lager.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Interesting thread title, even if it is a blast from the past. Things have changed. You can now ferment a lager under pressure at 'ale' temperatures using a decent (authentic) lager yeast strain within an ale-like time frame, depending on your precise aim, of course. The first lager I made was back in the late 80s. It was shit. And everyone who tried it confirmed it was shit. The second larger I made (under pressure :D) was the summer before last. It was very very nice 8)

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Has anyone used Mangrove Jack's M54 yeast in this sort of situation- described as "A unique lager strain that has the ability to ferment at ale temperatures without the associated off flavors. Extended lagering periods are also not required" - might be useful for the OP but no experience of it...

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 pm

S05 is relatively flavour free and can be fermented at ale temps. That would be my choice for a fake lager.
Never enough time...