Campden Tablets

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dba27

Campden Tablets

Post by dba27 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi All

I am about to do a brew (Wadworths Old Father Timer) and have run out of campden tables. I use CRS plus gypsum and magnesium sulphate for my water treatment and consistently get the correct PH as per the water treatment calculator mentioned on the popular thread on this subject. Can I leave out the campden tablets? Do they contribute to the water treatment significantly? I must confess to only having used tham because I have read that alot of you have used them, but can I omit them if CRS etc is giving me good brewing water?

I look forward to your reply(s)

Regards

Darren

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Campden Tablets

Post by Eric » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Campden tablets are used to remove chlorine from the water. The water supply here is generally suitable for brewing without using them. I read that some folk on this Forum cannot brew decent beer unless they deal with the chlorine first. I read that sodium metabisulphate will do the same.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Or you can run off the brew water the day before and let the chlorine evaporate as I do :)
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:13 pm

dean_wales wrote:Or you can run off the brew water the day before and let the chlorine evaporate as I do :)
That works for some water supplies, but most companies put chloramines in the water as well, and those do not evaporate off, so you need to filter or use campden tablets.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Eric wrote:. I read that sodium metabisulphate will do the same.
In another thread I asked if Campden tabs were basically the same as using sodium met, as the ingredients on the pot are generally just sodium met with a couple of other minor ingredients.

Apparently Campden tablets are effectively just a convenient way of adding sodium met which is good to know if you ever run out but have a bag of sodium met handy.

Think one tab is equivalent to around a teaspoon.

fullclaret

Post by fullclaret » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Some info on campden tablets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campden_tablets

Roughly 1 teaspoon of meta = 10 tablets, so for 5 gallons of water use quarter of a tablet, 1/40th of a teaspoon or 0.1grams

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Jim wrote:
dean_wales wrote:Or you can run off the brew water the day before and let the chlorine evaporate as I do :)
That works for some water supplies, but most companies put chloramines in the water as well, and those do not evaporate off, so you need to filter or use campden tablets.
I had a look round for more info on Chloramines and found this page

http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/chloramine.htm

According to that we could use Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) to get rid of the Chloramines. This might be a better solution to campden. Anyone tried it :?:

I must admit to not treating my water at all, so I found this subject very interesting. Generally my beer has been fine, but two batches back I did get an off medical flavour in a couple of my bottles. So I think I will start doing one of the above as a precaution.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 am

Considering sodium meta is about £3 for 500g, campden tabs are an absolute rip-off.

Yeasty Rob

Post by Yeasty Rob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 pm

dave-o wrote:Considering sodium meta is about £3 for 500g, campden tabs are an absolute rip-off.
Yeah thats what I think. Although measuring out 1/10th of a teaspoon to put in a demijohn is going to be tricky :?

Guess thats the cost of convenience.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Yeasty Rob wrote:Although measuring out 1/10th of a teaspoon to put in a demijohn is going to be tricky :?
It doesn't really have to be that exact. I'd say a small bump on the end of the teaspoon would be about right.

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Andy__ wrote: I had a look round for more info on Chloramines and found this page

http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/chloramine.htm

According to that we could use Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) to get rid of the Chloramines. This might be a better solution to campden. Anyone tried it :?:

I must admit to not treating my water at all, so I found this subject very interesting. Generally my beer has been fine, but two batches back I did get an off medical flavour in a couple of my bottles. So I think I will start doing one of the above as a precaution.
I have had another look round and Ascorbic acid sounds better and better. This is what I have found out sofar: -

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdf/05231301.pdf

Its not at all toxic so it wont harm the yeast.

It lowers PH, but not by more than a few tenths.

It's naturally occurs in most fruits, so is relatively cheap and easy to buy.

When added it reduces oxidation.

It works very quickly

The only draw back is that if you add too much you may give what you have added it to a citric flavour, which sounds like it will compliment a Cascade IPA very nicely.

I think Im going to add a small amount of fresh lemon juice to my mash/sparge water from now on :)

beer gut

Post by beer gut » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi where i live the clhorine is so high that i have resorted to boiling my brewing liquor the day before and i add campden tabs to the water when it comes to the boil, then boil for 10 mins.All i would recomend is just boil the water a daybe fore brewing and boil it for 15mins, i have been told by a brewing consultant at brew labs in Sunderland that if you don't remove the clhorine from the water it can caus metallic flavous in the finished brew it can also make the ale taste a bit astrigent (dry)on the pallet.The only thing i would look out for is excessive boiling is said to make the water softer so just watch out for that . Happy brewing :D :D