Dry Hopping Technique

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Andy__

Dry Hopping Technique

Post by Andy__ » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi,

I rarely dry hop these days because I generally get what I want from the hops using late hopping. However I’m having a go at an Amarillo IPA at the weekend and I have read on this site and others what a great hop it is for dry hopping. So it would be a shame not to.

When I have dry hopped in the past I have uses a Hop bag and I have even weighted these down so as much beer as possible circulates round the hops, however I suspect I can get a much better result from putting them in loose.

My concern is that if I put them in loose I’m a little worried I won’t be able to bottle or keg without some sort of elaborate hop strainer.

Any advise from anyone who dry hops loose hops or can suggest a better technique for using the hop bags would be appreciated.
:flip:

boingy

Re: Dry Hopping Technique

Post by boingy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Stainless steel tea ball. A few quid on ebay.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 pm

If you're using whole hops then the majority will float at the top. Put a strainer on your racking cane and you should be fine. I've put a strainer on the dip tube of my corny and tossed hops directly into the keg.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:08 pm

flytact wrote:If you're using whole hops then the majority will float at the top. Put a strainer on your racking cane and you should be fine. I've put a strainer on the dip tube of my corny and tossed hops directly into the keg.
Sorry for being a bit slow, but how would a strainer work (multiple holes etc) with a verticle cane and the need to get as much beer as possible out of the bucket. Just having a bit of trouble visualizing that.

boingy wrote:Stainless steel tea ball. A few quid on ebay.
Its not really what I was looking for. I would much prefer getting a good technique sorted out for putting them in loose, however I will try this in the future and I have just ordered a 3" one.

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Boingy can this just be dropped in or does it need to be suspended mid FV ?
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Andy__ wrote: Just having a bit of trouble visualizing that.
Sorry for being vague. When I toss hops directly into the corny I've attached a small (~5cm) piece of stainless braid to the end of the dip tube. Wish I had a picture.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:02 pm

pas8280 wrote:
Boingy can this just be dropped in or does it need to be suspended mid FV ?
+1 for the teaball/infuser, done it many times,

in an fv they could be suspended to keep away from the yeast and crap at the bottom.

if you are putting them in the finished beer in a barrel/keg/cornie, they can be dropped straight in and providing you drink you beer in a reasonable time, you won't get any grassy flavours which you can get from some hops, so you can leave them in and retrieve them when the barrel is finished.

there are two sizes on eBay, if you do buy some, make sure they are the bigger 65mm ones, you get more hops in them.

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:18 pm

flytact wrote:
Andy__ wrote: Just having a bit of trouble visualizing that.
Sorry for being vague. When I toss hops directly into the corny I've attached a small (~5cm) piece of stainless braid to the end of the dip tube. Wish I had a picture.
Yes I think I understand now. Thanks very much for the information I think this could work well :)

smdjoachim

Post by smdjoachim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Tie a bit of stocking material over the end of the racking cane.