What happens when sanstar is too concentrated?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
weiht

What happens when sanstar is too concentrated?

Post by weiht » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi there, anyone ever sanitised with sanstar that may be too concentrated? Does it add to any off flavours?

mat69

Re: What happens when sanstar is too concentrated?

Post by mat69 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm

do you mean star san ?

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:04 pm

How much do you mean by too concentrated? I don't think it adds any off flavours. I do know that it is highly corrosive in it's neat form, people report it eating holes in their granite counter tops when it gets spilled. I don't think it really has a flavour, at least when I tasted the made up solution it didn't.....

I'd suggest you shoot off a mail to five star and ask them http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:49 pm

It may also not count as safe without a rinse - I don't know the limits but I'd imagine it depends heavily on how strong, how much, and how diluted it becomes in any drink it subsequently mixes with.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

hebbstar
Steady Drinker
Location: ChesVegas (Chesterfield - Town of the Crooked Spire)

Post by hebbstar » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Guys

Sorry bit off topic I know but where can I get star san / sanstar (quite like that name !) this from ? Tried the omi-present flea-bay and all the other JBK favourite sites but no hits !

Cheers

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 pm

hebbstar wrote:Guys

Sorry bit off topic I know but where can I get star san / sanstar (quite like that name !) this from ? Tried the omi-present flea-bay and all the other JBK favourite sites but no hits !

Cheers
http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/de ... ES20022054

Best piece of homebrew kit that I have bought, it saves an unbelievable amount of time, can't recommend it highly enough. You can reuse it again and again, just make it up with good water, i.e. not too hard.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:11 am

Yes, Hop and grape is good, and I got mine from the home brew shop, which I also rate quite highly 8oz and 16oz - possibly slightly cheaper in this instance but i've not compared postage costs (I go more or less past it a couple of times a year).

Cheers
kev
Kev

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 pm

I would say that when using a higher concentrated dose of StarSan you lose the ability to use it wet. Meaning I'd wait for it to completely dry before adding wort to a fermentor, for example.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:41 pm

flytact wrote:I would say that when using a higher concentrated dose of StarSan you lose the ability to use it wet. Meaning I'd wait for it to completely dry before adding wort to a fermentor, for example.

Star san is only effective as a wet contact sanitiser, once it dries out and dust can settle then the effectiveness is gone as that dust can and will contain contaminants.

lupulin

Post by lupulin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 pm

EoinMag wrote:
flytact wrote:I would say that when using a higher concentrated dose of StarSan you lose the ability to use it wet. Meaning I'd wait for it to completely dry before adding wort to a fermentor, for example.

Star san is only effective as a wet contact sanitiser, once it dries out and dust can settle then the effectiveness is gone as that dust can and will contain contaminants.
I agree. Nothing bad can happen from too highly concentrated star san. It's just acid you're diluting, so there isn't really any way to get the pH too low, to my knowledge.