Is it possible to make a beer for the 23rd Dec

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
johndavies

Is it possible to make a beer for the 23rd Dec

Post by johndavies » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:22 pm

I need to make a beer for the 23rd December can it be done :? I was thinking maybe a wheat beer or stout

coatesg

Re: Is it possible to make a beer for the 23rd Dec

Post by coatesg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:39 pm

I'd go for a wheat beer if I were you, but you'd need to force carbonate it really. (And pitch a good amount of yeast to make sure the ferment is done quickly). Still could be tight though.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 pm

You could make a mild. Brew and ferment in >1 week. Bottle/keg for another week.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 pm

I brewed a Porter very similiar to GW's Caledonian Porter, used SO4. It fermented in about 4 days, then after a week in the Keg it was very tasty. I brewed it for XMAS, the keg is nearly empty :(

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:52 pm

An ordinary strength bitter say 4 to 4.2 % ABV. with medium bitterness and plenty of late hops. 6 days in the fv and another 6 to clear and condition, ready for the 20th if you get brewing tonight :D

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 pm

No problem..read this....................viewtopic.php?f=24&t=33931&hilit=+delight
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackjack

Post by Blackjack » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:12 pm

trucker5774 wrote:No problem..read this....................viewtopic.php?f=24&t=33931&hilit=+delight
I have just read that thread you started, excellent, that is how it works.

Nothing personal, but someone called that "experimental" to do it fast. It is not, that is normal practice.
I went on a brewery tour at Joules new 30 barrel brewery in Market Drayton the other night. Their pale ale is in the pubs within 2 weeks of brew day.

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Blackjack wrote:An ordinary strength bitter say 4 to 4.2 % ABV. with medium bitterness and plenty of late hops. 6 days in the fv and another 6 to clear and condition, ready for the 20th if you get brewing tonight :D
And use finings to make sure it clears ;) (Though I'd shoot for 3.6% with something like WLP002 or 005 and hold back slightly on the late boil hops and just use half ounce of goldings as dry hops to boost the aroma)

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:09 am

If you have access to liquid yeasts, grab a Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 and ferment out a 4.5% ABV bitter or Irish Red at 23 degrees, should be done and dropped in four days - I accidentally did it at 24 degrees with an Irish Red, when I lost my temp control (it was around 28 degrees day temperature here so you have the opposite problem in the UK at the moment :D (send us some snow we would love some).
I read somewhere that Guinness normal draught variety is allowed to rise naturally to 24 / 25 degrees in the brewery and wouldn't mind betting that the yeasts are second or third cousins.

Then as suggested fine the bejazus out of it and if you are a kegger force carb in and let it sit cold up till Christmas Eve. If a bottler, then bottle straight out of primary and let it carb up in a warmish place like an airing cupboard etc for a couple of weeks.

You'll make it =D>

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:55 am

You can easily to a bitter or mild. Don't go crazy with the hops and use an English yeast like WLP002. Ready in 10 days.

johndavies

Post by johndavies » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:43 pm

got yeast choices of us-05 or nottingham hmm what to brew decisions decisions gonna have a go tonight at something me thinks

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Wouldn't use US-05 - I never found it easy to clear unless you have the facility to crash cool it in which case it works OK (fridge at 0-2C). I'd even crash the nottingham too - while it is flocculant, it's nothing compared to WLP002.

mark

Post by mark » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Yes, definately.

Something 3.6 - 3.8% ABV, 30-35 IBU
Ferment with S04, crash cool and then gelatine.
Into the corny and force carb.....that should give you a few spare days to condition it :D

Good luck

johndavies

Post by johndavies » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 am

brewing this tonight so fingers crossed:-

Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (°P): 10.7
Colour (SRM): 6.3 (EBC): 12.4
Bitterness (IBU): 34.2 (Average)

88.88% Maris Otter Malt
5.56% Caramalt
5.56% Wheat Malt

0.7 g/L Northern Brewer (10.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Cascade (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Willamette (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Cascade (5.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Willamette (5.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes